The Student Room Group

Which career route is best?

I have been thinking to complete my BTEC course and get the best grade possible, focus on the first year. During the second year, self-study A Level Mathematics for 2 years, overlapping my 2nd year in my BTEC course whilst studying AL Maths. After my 2 years of college education, I should get a BTEC Qualification and studying for an A Level Math Qualification. Then I have time to focus on my A Level Maths and I can work in the meantime to help myself for uni debt. Once recieved my AL grade, hopefully can therefore apply for a higher and better uni with more reputation than i would without the AL Maths. I want to study finance and only got a 5 in GCSE Maths. Having the A Level will increase my chances into getting into better Universities.

The other option would be to complete my 2 year college BTEC course and get the best possible grade in that and apply for a smaller and a uni with smaller reputation. Having entering uni earlier will mean I get a to get some experience around my belt.
Reply 1
Original post by JPF6
I have been thinking to complete my BTEC course and get the best grade possible, focus on the first year. During the second year, self-study A Level Mathematics for 2 years, overlapping my 2nd year in my BTEC course whilst studying AL Maths. After my 2 years of college education, I should get a BTEC Qualification and studying for an A Level Math Qualification. Then I have time to focus on my A Level Maths and I can work in the meantime to help myself for uni debt. Once recieved my AL grade, hopefully can therefore apply for a higher and better uni with more reputation than i would without the AL Maths. I want to study finance and only got a 5 in GCSE Maths. Having the A Level will increase my chances into getting into better Universities.

The other option would be to complete my 2 year college BTEC course and get the best possible grade in that and apply for a smaller and a uni with smaller reputation. Having entering uni earlier will mean I get a to get some experience around my belt.

Are you able to study BTEC 2 tears and A level the same 2 years…..my son did that
Reply 2
Original post by Raynerm
Are you able to study BTEC 2 tears and A level the same 2 years…..my son did that

My college doesn't do that, that's what makes it so difficult. No college near me enrols AL Maths which is the AL I want to study
Reply 3
Original post by JPF6
My college doesn't do that, that's what makes it so difficult. No college near me enrols AL Maths which is the AL I want to study

Are you able to study AL maths outside of college ie a online provider? It would be such a shame not to use both years to get both done 🧐 but I guess you have looked at that already. Try looking at business related courses at the universities you are interested in also. Quite a few have a lot of maths in them. Nottingham Trent I think offer a massive range of business/finance/economics related degrees without the level 6 or 7 in math. I am not sure if this is a uni you have interest in but worth a mention and a look 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending