The Student Room Group

What is on the LNAT and how to study for it

Hey, I'm a student in high school right now and I'm looking to sit the LNAT later this year. Can anyone here emphasise what the format is and how I might go about studying for it?
Reply 1
I sat the LNAT in November 2021 and got a good score on it. I mostly used the practice tests on the LNAT website to revise for the multiple choice and I would write practice essays to send to my English teacher for feedback. I also used "Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law" book by Mark Shepherd which gives a general overview of the test and how to go about answering the questions, it also has practice tests at the back of the book which I found helpful. Otherwise, keeping up to date on current affairs and reading newspaper articles should also help you prepare for the essay section. Hope this helps and good luck sitting the LNAT!

Original post by idk_2005
Hey, I'm a student in high school right now and I'm looking to sit the LNAT later this year. Can anyone here emphasise what the format is and how I might go about studying for it?
Reply 2

I only had 4 days to study for it and I used arbitio and know I would of failed without it (but that’s also because I had so little time to work for it ahah), it’s expensive but helps so much.

Hi there @idk_2005

LNAT comprises two parts: 42 passage-based MCQs and an essay question. For the essay, you get two or three options to choose from. When you get the results, you only get it for the MCQ part whereas the universities assess your essay individually (some don't even tell you your essay score).

I personally used a book that was suggested to me by a law student. You can find it on amazon. It has loads of passages and accompanying questions along with sample essays and mock tests. Make sure you practice at least 4-5 passages every day to get a hang of it. Understanding the reasoning behind an answer is very important and this book gives you a detailed explanation of each answer to guide you. The essay can either be on a current affair or a general knowledge-based topic. Mine was on "should developed countries be obligated to accept refugees" or something along the same lines.

Ideally, essays should have an introduction, a main body and a conclusion. Clearly mention your stance in the intro, have at least 2 arguments (max 4) in the main body and summarise the reasoning in the conclusion (never ever introduce a new argument in the conclusion). Organisation is key- make sure every sentence follows the previous one and is a coherent whole. Also address counterarguments to strengthen your stance (and this leaves a good impact on the reader because they know you can look at the topic from different vantage points).

There is no passing mark for the LNAT, it depends from uni to uni. They also usually don't tell you the threshold and I've seen so many students scoring low on the LNAT but still getting offers because they had a strong essay and personal statement. Have confidence and faith in yourself!

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending