The Student Room Group

science foundation GCSE to A level

Hi, so I wasn’t interested in science at all in GCSE so in gcse foundation I didn’t revise and got grade 4… although now I am really interested in science and I’m half way through year 12 altough my teacher told me that if I catch up with everything by the end of the year I can join the class for biology and chemistry. This will be incredibly difficult and will require dedication but is it even possible because i really want to do it but don’t know if I should start if it’s not possible to pass.

Any suggestions will help thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by XD89
Hi, so I wasn’t interested in science at all in GCSE so in gcse foundation I didn’t revise and got grade 4… although now I am really interested in science and I’m half way through year 12 altough my teacher told me that if I catch up with everything by the end of the year I can join the class for biology and chemistry. This will be incredibly difficult and will require dedication but is it even possible because i really want to do it but don’t know if I should start if it’s not possible to pass.

If your teacher thinks it's possible then there we have it. I guess the only way to know if you personally can cope with it is to try it.

i.e. try and work out how many chapters you'd need to cover a week to catch up in time, try that amount of learning for two weeks, and if you can keep up then there we go!! Don't be shy to ask people who've done science from the beginning for help, too. Having your peers help explain stuff can be really helpful.

If your school does AQA for chemistry then I recommend using the website chemguide alongside textbook. It's not very pretty but it has everything you need to know laid out plain (if your school doesn't do AQA I'm sure it's still useful as they all use the same national curiculum). The guy who made chemguide also has a book called "Calculations for A Level Chemistry" which is a textbook that just covers the maths in chemistry; it's been an absolute lifesaver for me.
Reply 2
Original post by gingur
If your teacher thinks it's possible then there we have it. I guess the only way to know if you personally can cope with it is to try it.

i.e. try and work out how many chapters you'd need to cover a week to catch up in time, try that amount of learning for two weeks, and if you can keep up then there we go!! Don't be shy to ask people who've done science from the beginning for help, too. Having your peers help explain stuff can be really helpful.

If your school does AQA for chemistry then I recommend using the website chemguide alongside textbook. It's not very pretty but it has everything you need to know laid out plain (if your school doesn't do AQA I'm sure it's still useful as they all use the same national curiculum). The guy who made chemguide also has a book called "Calculations for A Level Chemistry" which is a textbook that just covers the maths in chemistry; it's been an absolute lifesaver for me.

Ok, thank you so much for your help. It’s just that I picked my a levels specifically for computer science and focussed on the gcses needed for that ie maths computing English and now that I’ve had time to think I’m finding computing really boring and would like to have a career in the science field so I think it’ll be worth all of the hard work even if it means non-stop work until summer 😅
Reply 3
Original post by XD89
Ok, thank you so much for your help. It’s just that I picked my a levels specifically for computer science and focussed on the gcses needed for that ie maths computing English and now that I’ve had time to think I’m finding computing really boring and would like to have a career in the science field so I think it’ll be worth all of the hard work even if it means non-stop work until summer 😅

Don't forget it's always an option to start sixth form again with completely different choices! I know a few people who did it and they seem to be doing well. Then you could spend the rest of this academic year getting your GCSE science up to scratch and/or asking your teachers for some bridging work.

Not saying you should do this just pointing out you have other options than cram cram cram for 4 months.
Original post by XD89

No it's not possible - you've missed 2/3 of the content and wouldn't normally be allowed to start an A level with a grade 4.

Quick Reply

Latest