The Student Room Group

How important are questions at the end of an interview?

What should they be, in terms of enquiring about a course?
Reply 1
Original post by Dentaldreams

I didn't ask any question at the end of my Cambridge and Manchester interview(for physics), pretty sure its optional and dont count for anything.
Original post by Skiwi
I didn't ask any question at the end of my Cambridge and Manchester interview(for physics), pretty sure its optional and dont count for anything.

I’m just wondering whether it’s a good idea or not? I had an interview with Portsmouth recently where I asked questions but I was rejected anyway.
Thanks for your reply:smile:

Hey again Dental!

I think @Skiwi is right. I do recall reading somewhere that asking Qs about the course can be bad in some cases as it looks like you haven't bothered doing research? Not sure if this makes sense? :smile:

Maybe check online to see the info isn't out there before planning to ask a specific Q if you wish to do so.
(edited 2 years ago)
Ask questions if you have questions, don't ask questions for the sake of asking a question.

That said the interview may not be the best place for more general questions about the course and life at the uni. Open days are more the forum for that sort of thing.
Original post by TriplexA
Hey again Dental!

I think @Skiwi is right. I do recall reading somewhere that asking Qs about the course can be bad in some cases as it looks like you haven't bothered doing research? Not sure if this makes sense? :smile:

Maybe check online to see the info isn't out there before planning to ask a specific Q if you wish to do so.

Hey!

Honestly I have all the information I need but today I was discussing it with someone, and they said the same, that if I have done thorough research then I shouldn’t need to ask questions.
Still the doubt in me wondered what the general approach was.

Thank you:smile:
Reply 6
I’m just wondering whether it’s a good idea or not? I had an interview with Portsmouth recently where I asked questions but I was rejected anyway.
Thanks for your reply:smile:

I was rejected from cambridge as well but it wasnt because of the interviews so i doubt it mattered much. Its probably best not to ask a question for the sake of asking.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Ask questions if you have questions, don't ask questions for the sake of asking a question.

That said the interview may not be the best place for more general questions about the course and life at the uni. Open days are more the forum for that sort of thing.

This is what I was beginning to think as previously I was doing things for the sake of it.
When you look at the high performing students who also have a well rounded university experience, what traits do they demonstrate during their studies other students don’t demonstrate?

What career/research opportunities can I pursue alongside the academic course?
Hey!

Honestly I have all the information I need but today I was discussing it with someone, and they said the same, that if I have done thorough research then I shouldn’t need to ask questions.
Still the doubt in me wondered what the general approach was.

Thank you:smile:

No worries.

Try not to doubt yourself though as I'm sure you've done sufficient prep and it's just about going in there on the day, staying calm and giving it your best shot.

Best wishes for it and please do give an update if possible :smile:
Time for me to do unit 4 of my course (7 Qs currently left but may continue tomorrow :biggrin:)
Original post by Skiwi
I was rejected from cambridge as well but it wasnt because of the interviews so i doubt it mattered much. Its probably best not to ask a question frot he sake of asking.

Sorry to hear you were rejected.
I think I’ll just ask if I really want to know about something.
Original post by mnot
When you look at the high performing students who also have a well rounded university experience, what traits do they demonstrate during their studies other students don’t demonstrate?

What career/research opportunities can I pursue alongside the academic course?

Thank you, these are some good examples:smile:
Original post by TriplexA
No worries.

Try not to doubt yourself though as I'm sure you've done sufficient prep and it's just about going in there on the day, staying calm and giving it your best shot.

Best wishes for it and please do give an update if possible :smile:
Time for me to do unit 4 of my course (7 Qs currently left but may continue tomorrow :biggrin:)

I feel ready, just nervous.

I’ll definitely update you :biggrin:

Good luck!! (Is this the final unit? I’m sure you’re well ahead anyway!)

Thanks again:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending