The Student Room Group

rhinoplasty

Hi, i would appreciate some feedback on this topic.
I’m 17 and my whole life ive have a very crooked nose, my nose bends to the right and it’s a big mental block for me it gives me so much anxiety and depression. When i have conversations with people my first thought is weather or not they’re looking at my nose and it’s a very hard thing to live with. On the health side of things it’s very hard to breathe at night as it gets very blocked. Ive asked for a appointment at my local hospital but i’m skeptical weather or not they are going to make me wait till i turn 18 for the surgery. i feel this is something i need to do ASAP as it’s becoming very hard on my mental health and social life. Ive been bullied for it in the past when i was younger. But it’s just getting to the point now where i need the surgery or i’m just going to be very depressed for the next year until i am able to get the surgery. I know its more of a mental thing for me and i should work on my mental health myself but i think anyone that has a crooked nose knows how i’m feeling and would understand the anxiety that comes with it.
I can see that this is causing you a lot of distress and is effecting your day to day life. There are 2 reasons why I believe (although I am not a professional) that the hospital would do your rhinoplasty- the severe effect it has on your mental health, but also the fact that it’s not only for cosmetic purposes, it’s also due to the fact you can’t physically breathe very well through your nose thus it needs correcting
Reply 2
Thankyou for your feedback. Even tho your not a professional i really needed to hear that. I also think that they possibly will give me the surgery, i haven’t heard anything back about an appointment and this is so stressful as they don’t even realize how severe the situation is and there is such a long waiting list. It could possibly take up to 6 months i’m just praying this gets sorted some time this year.
Original post by Anonymous
Thankyou for your feedback. Even tho your not a professional i really needed to hear that. I also think that they possibly will give me the surgery, i haven’t heard anything back about an appointment and this is so stressful as they don’t even realize how severe the situation is and there is such a long waiting list. It could possibly take up to 6 months i’m just praying this gets sorted some time this year.

Anytime! And yeah, the waiting lists for the NHS are pretty long, it is super frustrating! I really hope you get the surgery though, someone like you deserves it!
The nhs DON’T give nose jobs for mental health reasons often. It’s a very slippery slope and they can’t justify spending tax payers money because someone claims to need surgery for their mental health. Although I’m sure you are being honest, a lot of people would take advantage for sure. Doctors actually really don’t like doing surgery on people with mental health problems because they might think the issue is more psychological and surgery wouldn’t be as beneficial. I’ve known surgeons to turn people down for this reason.
If it is a breathing issue they might do it but they’d almost definitely wait until you turn 18 because your face continues to change until that age.
Your best option is to wait until you turn 18 and try to get the surgery done privately, although like I said UK doctors may be wary about it due to your mental health.
I’m not trying to upset you btw because I understand how upsetting it must be! I’m just trying to explain realistic options :smile: you could even consider surgery in a country like Turkey as they have some very very good doctors there and the price can be a lot less, a lot of people go down this route.
Reply 6
Don’t tell the nhs doctor that it’s about your mental health. Say that I can’t breathe at night and this want a surgery. See if they’ll do surgery on you, if not then your best bet is Turkey that is cheap and has great doctors.

Quick Reply

Latest