A level biology teacher teaches everything but the bio spec

Watch this thread
Wannadomedok
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Firstly I do aqa bio My teachers are really and bad their powerpoints have lots of information from outside the spec I usually don’t stress about it and make my own notes using the textbook,Spec and annotate the teachers ppt recently it’s been really bad with the PowerPoint having NOT ONE thing from our spec exam qs from edexcel and aqa OLD SPEC where given and the content was ocr is there a reason for this or should I completely ignore these recent powerpoint with ZERO content from aqa
Last edited by Wannadomedok; 3 months ago
gingur
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Wannadomedok)
Firstly I do aqa bio My teachers are really and bad their powerpoints have lots of information from outside the spec I usually don’t stress about it and make my own notes using the textbook,Spec and annotate the teachers ppt recently it’s been really bad with the PowerPoint having NOT ONE thing from our spec exam qs from edexcel and aqa OLD SPEC where given and the content was ocr is there a reason for this or should I completely ignore these recent powerpoint with ZERO content from aqa
In paper 3 there is a 25 mark question where you can only reach the top band (21-25 marks) if you use out of spec knowledge. However, I really don't think 4 marks is worth wasting loads of lesson time on. Is there a head of science/teacher you trust you can complain about this too? Seems like the only viable option if they actually aren't teaching you any of the spec.

I would probably approach it like "I am a bit worried Mr X isn't covering the spec fully..." coz if you come off as hostile straight away the teachers might get defensive
Wannadomedok
Rep:
(Original post by gingur)
In paper 3 there is a 25 mark question where you can only reach the top band (21-25 marks) if you use out of spec knowledge. However, I really don't think 4 marks is worth wasting loads of lesson time on. Is there a head of science/teacher you trust you can complain about this too? Seems like the only viable option if they actually aren't teaching you any of the spec.

I would probably approach it like "I am a bit worried Mr X isn't covering the spec fully..." coz if you come off as hostile straight away the teachers might get defensive
firstly thankyou for your response a student from the class went to the teacher who then used the essay as an excuse and said it’s just “extra information” and i don’t think any other teacher will listen without getting offended but do u think it’s ok if i continue teaching myself from spec and textbook and some other resources related to my spec i did this for my mocks and it did work
gingur
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Wannadomedok)
firstly thankyou for your response a student from the class went to the teacher who then used the essay as an excuse and said it’s just “extra information” and i don’t think any other teacher will listen without getting offended but do u think it’s ok if i continue teaching myself from spec and textbook and some other resources related to my spec i did this for my mocks and it did work
Whilst it probably isn't impossible, you won't get a deep understanding of the specification in the same way you would from having a teacher teach it to you. Obviously, if you care confused about something you can just google the answer but google won't know how to answer the question in the exact detail expected at A level. I think there are ways to approach other teachers without offending them. If I were in your situation I'd find a non science teacher (e.g. my tutor is an art teacher) and tell them I'm worried about the issue. That way they're less likely to be besties with my bio teacher and also won't get defensive over the science department as it's nothing to do with them.

Baso I'm a firm believer in standing up for your right to be taught the specification properly by the school. If you're spending 6 hours a week in that classroom, you deserve to have those 6 hours used properly.
Wannadomedok
Rep:
(Original post by gingur)
Whilst it probably isn't impossible, you won't get a deep understanding of the specification in the same way you would from having a teacher teach it to you. Obviously, if you care confused about something you can just google the answer but google won't know how to answer the question in the exact detail expected at A level. I think there are ways to approach other teachers without offending them. If I were in your situation I'd find a non science teacher (e.g. my tutor is an art teacher) and tell them I'm worried about the issue. That way they're less likely to be besties with my bio teacher and also won't get defensive over the science department as it's nothing to do with them.

Baso I'm a firm believer in standing up for your right to be taught the specification properly by the school. If you're spending 6 hours a week in that classroom, you deserve to have those 6 hours used properly.
Yhhhh that makes all of sense and I will be taking ur advice thank you again for taking the time to help me out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
30.88%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
38.24%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (3)
4.41%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.88%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.24%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.47%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.47%

Watched Threads