Revising for a subject you really struggle with.

Watch this thread
ir183
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey
I am in year 10 and I really struggle with Chemistry, I revise and revise for every exam however I still get very low marks.

I am not sure if it's the way I revise or because I really dislike the subject but I always struggle to get my mind around chemistry and exam season is horrible.

How do you revise for a subject you dislike?
Yas101
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ir183)
Hey
I am in year 10 and I really struggle with Chemistry, I revise and revise for every exam however I still get very low marks.

I am not sure if it's the way I revise or because I really dislike the subject but I always struggle to get my mind around chemistry and exam season is horrible.

How do you revise for a subject you dislike?
I wanna put it out there that the first half of chemistry (paper 1) is much more difficult than paper 2. For chemistry if you have access to it, I would use educake to check ur base understanding. I would also watch free science lessons. Then I would do some practice questions from cgp work books and then do past papers. Any topic in particular ur struggling with. If I was to guess I would say moles haha
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
It could be because you’re not really bringing the subject to life.. there are a few ways you could do this.. make learning more interactive so by watching videos, wider research etc.

Or you could just get on with revision and reward yourself afterwards for your hard work. I did both these methods when I had to revise for GCSE physics, it turned out to be an alright subject in the end.
ir183
Rep:
(Original post by Yas101)
I wanna put it out there that the first half of chemistry (paper 1) is much more difficult than paper 2. For chemistry if you have access to it, I would use educake to check ur base understanding. I would also watch free science lessons. Then I would do some practice questions from cgp work books and then do past papers. Any topic in particular ur struggling with. If I was to guess I would say moles haha
thanks so much and yes you are right the worst part is moles & Ar&Mr
ir183
Rep:
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
It could be because you’re not really bringing the subject to life.. there are a few ways you could do this.. make learning more interactive so by watching videos, wider research etc.

Or you could just get on with revision and reward yourself afterwards for your hard work. I did both these methods when I had to revise for GCSE physics, it turned out to be an alright subject in the end.
Thanks so much i will try them out.
Yas101
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ir183)
thanks so much and yes you are right the worst part is moles & Ar&Mr
For moles I would just not worry abt it too much until closer to year 11/end of yr 10 mocks. I still cannot do them now very well and you can get 9s without being particularly good at them. I would recommend learning a table method for doing titration mole calculations which I found really helpful. Free science lessons may go over it. This is because it’s often a 6 marker and once you know how to do one, you can do them all. Often topics from paper 1 make more sense when you’ve done paper 2 stuff as well. How far are you through the course atm? I may have a ppt full of moles explanations somewhere which I’ll find and attach in a bit if you would like. Any other bits ur stuck on?
ir183
Rep:
First of all thanks so much for your advice, and yes please I would love to see the PowerPoint,

Secondly, there isn't really anything else that I'm struggling with, and we are doing chemical changes so just over 1/4 of the GCSE content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (8)
40%
They're exactly what I expected (4)
20%