The Student Room Group

Am I treated illegally? And what can I do?

I use a studio of Unite Students. They moved me out for a window repairing, during this time I was arranged to stay in an ensuite. Unfortunately the accommodation staff said maintenance will take a long time and my studio was no longer suitable for living, they will change my contract to an alternative ensuite. However, an ensuite is not an acceptable option to me, I can endure a week's repairing but not willing to lose my place.(This againsts the contract )
Yesterday I received a new ensuite contract and they said I had to accept this within 7 days . I am confusing now, can they just move me out without any penalty? I complained to receptionist many times but the man don't have rights to change anything.

During this two weeks, I moved from place to place, I'm tired, I don't want to be moved out anymore and just asking for a studio to settle down. Who can I talk to due with it, I thank the receptionist guy, but he cannot make a change
What's wrong with the en suite first of all
Reply 2
If memory serves, if they offer you a 'comparable' room then theyve done nothing wrong, equally theres likelly a clause in your contract that deals with them needing to conduct repair work.
As one can only assume youre a student you might wish to speak to their legal department on it, this is effectively what they exist for (as well as their erstwhile students getting arrested for being drunk or doing blow :rolleyes: )
Original post by Napp
If memory serves, if they offer you a 'comparable' room then theyve done nothing wrong, equally theres likelly a clause in your contract that deals with them needing to conduct repair work.
As one can only assume youre a student you might wish to speak to their legal department on it, this is effectively what they exist for (as well as their erstwhile students getting arrested for being drunk or doing blow :rolleyes: )

Thank you. You must be a smart guy to point out the word "comparable". yes, "comparable" is a problem here and it is in my contract. The contract says "the alternative accommodation is of substantially no lesser standard than your Room/Flat;" My place was a nice studio, with friends live close to me. However, the alternative one they offer to me is an ensuite, no individual kitchen any more, can't invite friends to my home anymore... I just can't accept that this is a "comparable" option actually.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
What's wrong with the en suite first of all

you mean my first place? The window was in bad condition, there is a leakage there.
Original post by AbsoluteNoob
Thank you. You must be a smart guy to point out the word "comparable". yes, "comparable" is a problem here and it is in my contract. The contract says "the alternative accommodation is of substantially no lesser standard than your Room/Flat;" My place was a nice studio, with friends live close to me. However, the alternative one they offer to me is an ensuite, no individual kitchen any more, can't invite friends to my home anymore... I just can't accept that this is a "comparable" option actually.

Then you need to make a formal complaint to them on the grounds of it not being comparable and go from there.
Original post by Admit-One
Then you need to make a formal complaint to them on the grounds of it not being comparable and go from there.

Yes, I will do this tomorrow. Will update what's going on later
Hi, I'm back. The issue has been done nicely. I went to the receptionist with the contract and told him I had to talk to the manager. Yesterday they said they can offer me a alternative Studio for me. This this the solution I am willing to accept, and thankyou all for giving me advice.

Quick Reply

Latest