The Student Room Group

Loosing money ? Isit normal?

Okay so I got money from inheritance and spent it all.
I’m getting my last student finance which will be £3.6k and nhs training fund of £1.6k so it will be. £5.5k. Instead of spending it.

I feel really bad and dumb for spending all the inheritance money I guess because I’ve never received such large amount of money and I was in a bad time. I wish I kept atleast 15k.

I’m thinking to put the money^^ £5.5k in my savings and pretend I never spent the inheritance lool. Is this normal?
It can be a shock when someone dies and the spending your inheritance may be a way to soften the blow and coping. Don't beat yourself about it. It's done now. How much was your inheritance? Will this help you if you pretend?
Reply 2
Original post by Jennifer303
I’m getting my last student finance which will be £3.6k and nhs training fund of £1.6k so it will be. £5.5k. Instead of spending it.

I feel really bad and dumb for spending all the inheritance money I guess because I’ve never received such large amount of money and I was in a bad time. I wish I kept atleast 15k.

I’m thinking to put the money^^ £5.5k in my savings and pretend I never spent the inheritance lool. Is this normal?

Is this any different than four weeks ago?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=96645363&highlight=

Like have you spend the £32 now?
Can you try and put the money in an account that you never use, or with a different bank whose app you don’t have on your phone. Keep it separate to your day-to-day account.
Can you sell any of the things you bought to get back a bit of the money you spent?
I dunno why you're still asking us if it's 'normal' after the last 2 threads you made about it. You flat out suck with money and you'll likely blow this 5.5 as well since there's no sign of you changing.

(You're going to put 5.5 aside and pretend it's 50? I don't see that working)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Quady
Is this any different than four weeks ago?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=96645363&highlight=

Like have you spend the £32 now?

I appreciate you putting my old thread on this thread but please don’t as I’m trying to think of new plans. My old thread has nothing to do with this advice I’m asking. Thank you though x
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort
I dunno why you're still asking us if it's 'normal' after the last 2 threads you made about it. You flat out suck with money and you'll likely blow this 5.5 as well since there's no sign of you changing.

(You're going to put 5.5 aside and pretend it's 50? I don't see that working)

Hi, if you have nothing nice to say don’t comment thank you x

My old threads are in the past. I’m thinking about new plans to fix my problem thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by Kutie Karen
It can be a shock when someone dies and the spending your inheritance may be a way to soften the blow and coping. Don't beat yourself about it. It's done now. How much was your inheritance? Will this help you if you pretend?

Yes it was a copying thing for me.

23k as I gave my mum some so I was left with 23k. Obviously I’m not dumb and I can’t pretend but I mean like maybe it would feel good and I wouldn’t feel guilty if I put money back into the ‘savings’. But then I think to myself it isn’t the inheritance. But money is money right
Reply 8
Original post by booklover1313
Can you try and put the money in an account that you never use, or with a different bank whose app you don’t have on your phone. Keep it separate to your day-to-day account.
Can you sell any of the things you bought to get back a bit of the money you spent?

Hey. Yes I’ve sold one thing. A pair of shoes for £300.

I have a separate account I put the inheritance in so I’ll be putting it back in that account.
Reply 9

But if you are putting your student funding aside as savings, what do you have to live on and pay for day-to-day expenses like accommodation, food, travel etc?
Reply 10
I appreciate you putting my old thread on this thread but please don’t as I’m trying to think of new plans. My old thread has nothing to do with this advice I’m asking. Thank you though x

Like what's changed so you dont just squander this money? Have you put the money into an account that doesn't allow withdrawals?
Hi, if you have nothing nice to say don’t comment thank you x

My old threads are in the past. I’m thinking about new plans to fix my problem thanks.

This isn't your personal safe space. If you don't want opinions don't repeatedly ask for them about the same topic without any changes in your behaviour.

I'm not really trying to be mean btw, but you honestly don't seem to be changing your spending or mindset, you're more interested in hiding it and pretending to yourself it didn't happen which will likely end the same way and you'll just have this background feeling of guilt forever. You need considerably more restrain and respect for value.,

I dunno if you remember, but I said in your first thread I'm in the same situation, I'm actually to get my inheritance today and the pressure is very much on me to, well, not do what you did. So as much as I can empathize with what you're going through, I need to also hold it up as a cautionary tale.
(edited 2 years ago)

You can use spending the inheritance as motivation to save back to that value again, but it will be taking money for living expenses etc. to do so, so it's not like you have that inheritance back again without forfeiting money for other areas of your life. I would also ask how you plan to stop yourself spending your savings all over again? And can you actually afford to put all of that money into savings rather than using it to live on?
Original post by StriderHort
This isn't your personal safe space. If you don't want opinions don't repeatedly ask for them about the same topic without any changes in your behaviour.

I'm not really trying to be mean btw, but you honestly don't seem to be changing your spending or mindset, you're more interested in hiding it and pretending to yourself it didn't happen which will likely end the same way and you'll just have this background feeling of guilt forever. You need considerably more restrain and respect for value.,

I dunno if you remember, but I said in your first thread I'm in the same situation, I'm actually to get my inheritance today and the pressure is very much on me to, well, not do what you did. So as much as I can empathize with what you're going through, I need to also hold it up as a cautionary tale.

Strider, I'd suggest that when you get your inheritance you straight away put it in a savings account. Not necessarily the perfect one, just one you can move it to from whichever account of yours it lands in (the bank you have your current account with will almost certainly have a facility to do that which will take you about ten minutes to set up online). Don't leave it sitting in your current account at all, not even for the day, or for while you find the perfect place to put it. Get it separated out from your everyday money right away so dipping into it has to be a conscious decision.
Original post by skylark2
Strider, I'd suggest that when you get your inheritance you straight away put it in a savings account. Not necessarily the perfect one, just one you can move it to from whichever account of yours it lands in (the bank you have your current account with will almost certainly have a facility to do that which will take you about ten minutes to set up online). Don't leave it sitting in your current account at all, not even for the day, or for while you find the perfect place to put it. Get it separated out from your everyday money right away so dipping into it has to be a conscious decision.

Yeah totally agree, I set aside an account for it and beyond paying off debts to stop all interest payments and a needed commercial vehicle/repairs I'll be sitting on it until I see a property that would be worthwhile, I'm a bit apprehensive of the market right now as a first time buyer for obv reasons.
Original post by Surnia
But if you are putting your student funding aside as savings, what do you have to live on and pay for day-to-day expenses like accommodation, food, travel etc?

I started working again x
I stopped working after my Parent passed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending