The Student Room Group

Audiology or Radiography

Got a place in Audiology at Aston and a place at BCU for Radiography, im still not 100%. Still undecided. I want to make an informed decision ( research all factors), as I am a mature student with children at school I have to make sure it works in my dimensions.
I only just found out that there is no parking at Seacole building at BCU, closest one is at Broadway plaza which is a 15 min walk( not ideal in the winter months having to walk in the dark on ur own) not sure about Aston but I have a friend’s driveway close to Aston Uni campus I can park at.

Have had no luck shadowing neither an audiologist or a radiographer, thank you Covid!! Nevertheless I have been a patient to both professions so have an idea.
I know sounds petty but I will be doing multiple school run in the morning and can’t ditch the car.

How many hours are the placement blocks, is it a 9-5 or a 12 hour a day?

How was ur experience as a mature student, were u offered support? Were the tutors understanding of ur need to have ur placements locally due to childcare?

I know both professions are well respected and have good job prospects, any info on the two courses from the two Uni’s will be much appreciated!
Thankyou for ur inputs.
Hello may I ask what type of radiography you applied to?
I am a first year therapeutic radiography student. However I am not at BCU but all the courses are quite similar.
I would suggest asking your uni if they can arrange a visit to the department or even see if you can talk to the practice educator at the department.
This is because every department is different and to really get an idea of what it is like to be in the department.
In therapeutic radiography we do 7.5 hour shifts and have 1 day off a week for studying during placement.
There is a lot of anatomy and physics in radiography. However what we learn is different to what diagnostic radiographers learn about the body. However all the basics of anatomy should be the same. The physics can also be tough especially when you're not used to numbers like me. But it is very doable even without background knowledge in physics.

Another thing to ask yourself may be about what your own goals are and what do you want out of your degree and what do you want to work as?

Anyways hopefully you can decide on something you enjoy :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply jimsy12.
The Radiography is a Diagnostic Radiography course. I am currently doing Bio, Physics & Chem for an access course. I have to say I am finding Physics most enjoyable.
I want to eventually work in a hospital environment, I feel Diagnostic Radiography offers that, where as being an audiologist chances are most jobs will be at spec-savers.
I’m happy to know your shifts are 7.5 hours long ( hopefully with a 1 hour lunch break), so that is 4 day placement and a day off to self study or attend Uni ?
I would like to train as a Sonographer in future if things are manageable and If I can get placement for it.
Good luck with ur course and future 😊
Original post by Mashbrohi

I’m happy to know your shifts are 7.5 hours long ( hopefully with a 1 hour lunch break), so that is 4 day placement and a day off to self study or attend Uni ?
I would like to train as a Sonographer in future if things are manageable and If I can get placement for it.

Be aware that placement hours vary from uni to uni, course to course, and even placement site to placement site. Best thing to do is contact the unis you plan on applying to and ask them, maybe go on an open day if you can.
The Radiography is a Diagnostic Radiography course. I am currently doing Bio, Physics & Chem for an access course. I have to say I am finding Physics most enjoyable.
I want to eventually work in a hospital environment, I feel Diagnostic Radiography offers that, where as being an audiologist chances are most jobs will be at spec-savers.

Not studying either of these subjects but am studying occupational therapy and I know our placements are a 8 hour day with 30 mins for lunch (7.5 hours working) with a half day for studying each week and I believe all the AHP subjects at my uni (QMU) have the same basic setup for their placements.

I would advise contacting both unis to find out how they run their placements.

I would suggest getting some work experience. ask the hospitals and universities about getting the experience. I think if you want to apply for radiography you should really visit both a diagnostic xray department as this is where you will be on placement in diagnostic radiography and a radiation oncology department. For audiology see if there is possibility to visit a outpatient audiology department. I think when applying for these courses you definitely need to visit the deartments and see what the role is and how the professionals work together as a team.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending