Can i still do architecture with a textiles alevel?

Watch this thread
yoshikira111
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Can i still do architecture with a textiles alevel? I really dont wanna suffer through a fine art alevel even though i heard it would be better but i genuinely enjoy doing textiles.

I’ve currently decided on doing:

Maths
Physics
Art and design: Textiles
Philosophy
IDK.345
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by yoshikira111)
Can i still do architecture with a textiles alevel? I really dont wanna suffer through a fine art alevel even though i heard it would be better but i genuinely enjoy doing textiles.

I’ve currently decided on doing:

Maths
Physics
Art and design: Textiles
Philosophy
Doing textiles isn't a problem as long as you express the impact its had on you and how the skills you have learnt from textiles can help you to study architecture in your application. Textiles still allows you to go through a design process and experiment with different materials which is something you would do as an architect. You have a balance in your subjects with the maths/physics side and the arts through textiles and knowing how to write essays, think considerately in philosophy. An architect needs to be well-rounded like the subjects you're taking as long as you express that in your application and work then you would get some amazing offers from unis. Hope this helps
normaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by IDK.345)
You have a balance in your subjects with the maths/physics side and the arts through textiles and knowing how to write essays, think considerately in philosophy. An architect needs to be well-rounded like the subjects you're taking as long as you express that in your application and work then you would get some amazing offers from unis. Hope this helps
For the benefit of other prospective architecture student who might read this, the vast majority of architecture courses do not specify math and/or physics as a requirement. For K100 architecture, Strathclyde and some Cambridge colleges are the only universities that require maths or physics. Bath prefers maths and/or physics. For the majority of unis, no specific A levels are required though a creative portfolio will be requested during the application process.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Textiles can be a better choice than fine art. It is design based so you’re responding to briefs and it can include 3d construction/design - so representing 3d ideas in 2d and developing ideas from 2d research and plans into 3d finished work.

Just make sure you put time into your basic sketching and drawing skills alongside your A levels. That will benefit your textiles work and help boost your portfolio for architecture
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Fwiw - I wouldn’t recommend 4 A levels for architecture. You need to preserve some free time to develop your portfolio and that will be severely restricted with 4 A levels.
yoshikira111
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
Fwiw - I wouldn’t recommend 4 A levels for architecture. You need to preserve some free time to develop your portfolio and that will be severely restricted with 4 A levels.
Thank you. This helps so much. I was thinking on maybe removing physics since i’m more confident in my mathematical ability however i’m still unsure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads