The Student Room Group

How do I prepare for A-Level Chemistry + Biology?

I did my IGCSEs in year 10 and then moved to the UK, due to issues regarding my age I wasn’t able to progress into Sixth Form, instead I just attend some year 11 classes until next year. I’m treating it as a gap year despite the fact I have to attend a few classes but I feel as though i’ve enjoyed myself enough and should focus on preparing for the upcoming year.

It’s been quite some time since i’ve actually revised (i’ve probably forgotten… quite a bit) but i’ll be taking A-Level Chemistry and Biology and would prefer not to be utterly clueless when I eventually start so i’d really appreciate it if someone could advise me on what important GCSE topics I may want to revise aswell as how I can prepare for studying these subjects in A-Levels. Any other A-Level related advice is fine too, I appreciate any help! Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by meowsies
I did my IGCSEs in year 10 and then moved to the UK, due to issues regarding my age I wasn’t able to progress into Sixth Form, instead I just attend some year 11 classes until next year. I’m treating it as a gap year despite the fact I have to attend a few classes but I feel as though i’ve enjoyed myself enough and should focus on preparing for the upcoming year.

It’s been quite some time since i’ve actually revised (i’ve probably forgotten… quite a bit) but i’ll be taking A-Level Chemistry and Biology and would prefer not to be utterly clueless when I eventually start so i’d really appreciate it if someone could advise me on what important GCSE topics I may want to revise aswell as how I can prepare for studying these subjects in A-Levels. Any other A-Level related advice is fine too, I appreciate any help! Thanks! :smile:

For chemistry just make sure you know and remember the general basics, you go over the topics again but it helps to know the basics so you can build you knowledge on that. As you do your A level keep practicing stuff you have learnt from few topics ago, you forget very easily at A level.
Reply 2
Original post by meowsies

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Biology and Chemistry A-Level. It really depends on the exam board that you'll be studying. My exam board for Biology is Edexcel, and personally, I'd recommend looking over topics like protein synthesis, mitosis, biodiversity, plants, the heart, and genetics. I found the book Headstart to A-level Biology very helpful and would definitely recommend it. For chemistry, my exam board is OCR B and I would recommend looking over topics like organic chemistry (hydrocarbons, alcohols, alkanes etc), electrolysis, groups in the periodic table (group 7 comes up frequently), nuclear fusion/fission, dynamic equilibrium, types of bonding, exothermic and endothermic and rates of reaction, I'd also recommend going over most, if not all of the calculations that you would've studied at GCSE, as they frequently come up. And the Headstart to A-level Chemistry book was also very helpful for me. I wouldn't stress too much as you are taught everything you will need to know but I would recommend preparing for what may come up as it will make it easier for you when you start Sixth Form.
Reply 3
Original post by Yabodee
For chemistry just make sure you know and remember the general basics, you go over the topics again but it helps to know the basics so you can build you knowledge on that. As you do your A level keep practicing stuff you have learnt from few topics ago, you forget very easily at A level.

Thank you so much for the advice, really appreciate it!
Reply 4
Original post by hill_j16
I'm currently in year 12 and studying Biology and Chemistry A-Level. It really depends on the exam board that you'll be studying. My exam board for Biology is Edexcel, and personally, I'd recommend looking over topics like protein synthesis, mitosis, biodiversity, plants, the heart, and genetics. I found the book Headstart to A-level Biology very helpful and would definitely recommend it. For chemistry, my exam board is OCR B and I would recommend looking over topics like organic chemistry (hydrocarbons, alcohols, alkanes etc), electrolysis, groups in the periodic table (group 7 comes up frequently), nuclear fusion/fission, dynamic equilibrium, types of bonding, exothermic and endothermic and rates of reaction, I'd also recommend going over most, if not all of the calculations that you would've studied at GCSE, as they frequently come up. And the Headstart to A-level Chemistry book was also very helpful for me. I wouldn't stress too much as you are taught everything you will need to know but I would recommend preparing for what may come up as it will make it easier for you when you start Sixth Form.

I’ll definitely check out the books you’ve mentioned, it seems like something i’m looking for. I really appreciate all the help, thank you!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest