The Student Room Group

Titration

I was wondering if it would be possible if I could use the same method for finding out the unknown concentration using the substances sodium carbonate and HCL with phenolphthalein indicator. Instead, I was wondering it was possible to substitute sodium carbonate and instead use Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) and Hydrochloric acid (HCL) with the phenolphthalein indicator.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
A quick google says that the pH of the resulting NaCl would be ~7 and that the range of phenolpthalein indicator is 8.3-10, which makes me think that although the titration would work, you might need a different indicator.

Just a quick google though.
Reply 2
Original post by gingur
A quick google says that the pH of the resulting NaCl would be ~7 and that the range of phenolpthalein indicator is 8.3-10, which makes me think that although the titration would work, you might need a different indicator.

Just a quick google though.

My thought was since HCL is a strong acid and NaOH is a strong base wouldn't that make phenolphthalein indicator a good indicator to use?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alyxcts
My thought was since HCL is a strong acid and NaOH is a strong base wouldn't that make phenolphthalein indicator a good indicator to use?

ur right i think i ****ed something up

Quick Reply