The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Public transportation cost

Hi everyone,

Do you know how much a student pass for a whole year costs for buses in Coventry? I tried to look online but couldn't understand the fares. How does one apply for a student pass? I read online that one gets a letter from the student union.

Thanks.

Hanna
For which company?
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by parmezanne
For which company?

All of them I guess? Isn't it one company for the whole of Coventry?
Original post by hbawab
Hi everyone,

Do you know how much a student pass for a whole year costs for buses in Coventry? I tried to look online but couldn't understand the fares. How does one apply for a student pass? I read online that one gets a letter from the student union.

Thanks.

Hanna

Hey @hbawab,

Thank you for your message.

Which company are you looking to purchase your bus pass from?

I bought a term bus pass with Stagecoach last year and this lasted for 12 weeks. When I applied for my student pass, I only needed my student ID number.

The term bus pass with National Express lasts a week or so longer. Below is an outline of the prices for the termly bus pass.

Stagecoach: £120

National Express: £160

Both enable you to travel around Coventry, but depending on how far you're looking to travel, National Express may be the better option as you're able to travel further and the student pass lasts a little bit longer therefore you're likely to get more out of the money you spend. However, if you're looking for a student bus pass to travel around Coventry only, then Stagecoach may be the better option for you. You can venture out into areas such as Leamington and Warwick to explore but that is as far as the pass gets you.
Another point is the location. Where are you traveling to and from? Some areas only have National Express buses around that stop by whereas some have Stagecoach buses only. So, be sure to check this out for yourself. Though, majority of places are covered by both Stagecoach and National Express.

You can apply for a bus pass online or in person. Though, it's best to ask around and do a bit of research to see which option is best for you. I remember my friend asking about it in person and managed to get the bus pass cheaper than buying online. It's easier to buy the bus pass using the app as the e-ticket is available to you there and then. If you decide to go with Stagecoach, you will need to apply for a travel card (smartcard) and this comes with the bus pass. The NX Bus mticket does not require you to apply for a smartcard as the ticket is displayed on the app.

I hope this helps.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hbawab
All of them I guess? Isn't it one company for the whole of Coventry?

No, but I'd suggest the main one is National Express. There's also stagecoach which is a big one if you will be travelling to Warwick Uni (or living in Leamington at all). National Express pass for a student and for a term is £160. You can find more information here. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey @hbawab,

Thank you for your message.

Which company are you looking to purchase your bus pass from?

I bought a term bus pass with Stagecoach last year and this lasted for 12 weeks. When I applied for my student pass, I only needed my student ID number.

The term bus pass with National Express lasts a week or so longer. Below is an outline of the prices for the termly bus pass.

Stagecoach: £120

National Express: £160

Both enable you to travel around Coventry, but depending on how far you're looking to travel, National Express may be the better option as you're able to travel further and the student pass lasts a little bit longer therefore you're likely to get more out of the money you spend. However, if you're looking for a student bus pass to travel around Coventry only, then Stagecoach may be the better option for you. You can venture out into areas such as Leamington and Warwick to explore but that is as far as the pass gets you.

You can apply for a bus pass online or in person. Though, it's best to ask around and do a bit of research to see which option is best for you. I remember my friend asking about it in person and manage to get the bus pass cheaper than buying in online. It's easier to buy the buss pass using the app as the e-ticket is available to you there and then. If you decide to go with Stagecoach, you will need to apply for a travel card (smartcard) and this comes with the buss pass. The NX Bus mticket does not require you to apply for a smartcard as the ticket is displayed on the app.

I hope this helps.

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Thanks so much Veronica. I will check out the links and ask you if I have any questions.
Reply 6
Original post by parmezanne
No, but I'd suggest the main one is National Express. There's also stagecoach which is a big one if you will be travelling to Warwick Uni (or living in Leamington at all). National Express pass for a student and for a term is £160. You can find more information here. :smile:

Great. Thanks for the info. I will check out the term passes and routes.
Reply 7
Original post by hbawab
Thanks so much Veronica. I will check out the links and ask you if I have any questions.

Thanks again Veronica. Checked again the bus routes, looks like NX has more frequent buses from the area around Fargo Village. Stagecoach has only one line every 30 minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest