The Student Room Group

CIFAS Fraud marker

Hello everyone I’m really stressed out because my Lloyds account got suspended. wen I called them they said I have a fraud report on my name and I have to contact CIFAS and get the report then ask the organisation to remove the report, I did as I was told it’s basically I had an account with Co-Operative bank and I used it for crypto related transaction as many people have idea about crypto I’m sure everyone would know about it. I invested money in crypto on the Exchanger Called HOUBI GLOBAL and when I made some profit I would sell it on P2P(Peer to Peer) to a buyer who’s using Houbi in the uk everything was going okay and one day I had a customer who ordered from me £70 worth of USDT she sent me the payment through my bank account it was her own account matched with the name she had with Houbi, after I received the funds from her I released the crypto to her that’s how it works P2P. Few days later I couldn’t login in my account and I had to call them and they asked me about the payments I received recently I had to lie to them and say it was from my friends and family members as he banks isn’t crypto friendly they would close the bank account if I said it was for crypto. Then the man said this girl did fraud report to her bank saying I scammed her and told me to contact her and tell her to call her bank and remove it. Then my account got closed and I reported about her on Houbi and they locked her account for doing fraud and told me to file an police complaint against her. I didn’t want all the trouble so I left it thinking I lost £70 it was okay for me. So I'm pretty sure it’s this bank reported me as fraud to CIFAS and it’s literally making my main account with Lloyds. What shall I do now? As I have seen the threads most of the cases are involving sharing their account their and getting payments for the scammers but it’s not the case for me I didn’t get anyones money in my account nor scammed someone. Is there any possibility I can remove the CIFAS fraud report? Please give me your suggestions as I’m so upset right now can’t even tell my family about it as I’m scared😭😭
Reply 1
Banks hate crypto transactions.Is the short and sweet of it - mine was suspended for an open banking request at a crypto site. your bank won’t unsuspend your account without that mark being removed by CIFAS - you can’t make new bank accounts either.

You must contact CIFAS and ask them to remove it, phone them, and get it removed asap.
Original post by Schotel
Banks hate crypto transactions.Is the short and sweet of it - mine was suspended for an open banking request at a crypto site. your bank won’t unsuspend your account without that mark being removed by CIFAS - you can’t make new bank accounts either.

You must contact CIFAS and ask them to remove it, phone them, and get it removed asap.

But the buyer has reported to her bank that I did fraud which I didn’t she’s the one scammed me took the crypto from me by making payment then told her bank I scammed her to get her money back it’s not even a big amount I don’t know why people do such a thing I left it as it’s only £70 but my bank reported to CIFAS saying I did fraud. What can I do now?
I'm not really sure how they work with crypto, but I have a hunch the lies will come back to haunt you if they haven't already ... have you basically been trying to run a currency exchange business from a personal account?
Original post by StriderHort
I'm not really sure how they work with crypto, but I have a hunch the lies will come back to haunt you if they haven't already ... have you basically been trying to run a currency exchange business from a personal account?

Can’t really say a business there’s no other way to withdraw the money I have in crypto other than this P2P I have to put advertisement and sell my crypto to get payment into my bank account I have always did the transaction with the person ordering from me the name has to match their bank account or I would refund. Her name was same as the account she had with Houbi so I completed the order. I did always sell my crypto for last 1 year never faced any issue as I was always on safe zone not doing the third party payment's. But she reported about me and put me in trouble I have the proof of the order and emails from Houbi saying the buyer did fraud and were asking me to file a police report as they can’t do anything other than blocking their accounts. The buyer also took the crypto out of her account. Do you think I can prove my innocence if so how can I what shall i say to bank and convince them as I have already lied to them saying it was from a friend?
Reply 5
Original post by deepthinkerx
But the buyer has reported to her bank that I did fraud which I didn’t she’s the one scammed me took the crypto from me by making payment then told her bank I scammed her to get her money back it’s not even a big amount I don’t know why people do such a thing I left it as it’s only £70 but my bank reported to CIFAS saying I did fraud. What can I do now?

Contact CIFAS and get it removed, no other way.
Original post by Schotel

They don't take orders from the public? If one of their members placed a marker, they won't just take it off on their own say so.
Can’t really say a business there’s no other way to withdraw the money I have in crypto other than this P2P I have to put advertisement and sell my crypto to get payment into my bank account I have always did the transaction with the person ordering from me the name has to match their bank account or I would refund. Her name was same as the account she had with Houbi so I completed the order. I did always sell my crypto for last 1 year never faced any issue as I was always on safe zone not doing the third party payment's. But she reported about me and put me in trouble I have the proof of the order and emails from Houbi saying the buyer did fraud and were asking me to file a police report as they can’t do anything other than blocking their accounts. The buyer also took the crypto out of her account. Do you think I can prove my innocence if so how can I what shall i say to bank and convince them as I have already lied to them saying it was from a friend?

Honestly I don't know got sure how they deal with Crypto so don't want to give false ideas... but it doesn't sound good. You keep talking about orders as if it's deffo a business venture and I get the impression they haven't bought the friends & family line.

I must say it's a bit telling that you knew they would close your account if you were honest about the payments. That isn't how most people would react if their bank asked them something. Have you had accounts closed before for it?
Honestly I don't know got sure how they deal with Crypto so don't want to give false ideas... but it doesn't sound good. You keep talking about orders as if it's deffo a business venture and I get the impression they haven't bought the friends & family line.

I must say it's a bit telling that you knew they would close your account if you were honest about the payments. That isn't how most people would react if their bank asked them something. Have you had accounts closed before for it?

Yes I had one account with metro and monzo both where closed because of crypto payment. They told if you do crypto bank elsewhere and closed my account. That’s why I didn’t want my account to be closed again so I had to lie I didn’t know someone reported fraud or I would say the truth he told me that after asking me why did you receive this payment and from whom? And who did you pay to? I was saying he’s my friend we met in college made a story up basically but it didn’t work I was shocked wen I heard the girls name wen he said she reported to her that u scammed her so you have to call your friend and ask them to remove it from her bank.
Reply 9
Original post by Schotel

Cifas/
Reply 10
Original post by yhabz
Cifas/

WHat is CIFAS
They don't take orders from the public? If one of their members placed a marker, they won't just take it off on their own say so.

I didn’t say they would? How on earth will he try to defend himself without making them aware of the situation and explaining that it wasn’t fraud?
Original post by Schotel
I didn’t say they would? How on earth will he try to defend himself without making them aware of the situation and explaining that it wasn’t fraud?

So you’re saying I should let them know first not my bank about this issue? Shall I tell my bank what I said before was a lie because I was scared my account will be closed if I said it was a crypto payment. How do I prove my innocence and do you think they will remove it if they see I didn’t do fraud?
Original post by Schotel

They need to go through the bank that added the marker as they are the ones who would remove it, as far as I am aware you can't appeal to CIFAS directly without formally exhausting this process. Remember CIFAS exists to protect it's members, not the public.
I presume there’s a CIFAS category for accounts being opened by deception. I can’t see what grounds you would get it removed. Speak to CIFAS and see what the marker is specifically for and how long it’ll be in place.
Reply 15
Original post by Schotel

That's not how this works. Don't comment if you don't have a clue.
Reply 16
I had to lie to them and say it was from my friends and family members as he banks isn’t crypto friendly they would close the bank account if I said it was for crypto.

Major red flags here.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending