The Student Room Group

I'll give u rep if u can tell me...

Are there more wheels or doors in my room?
Doors?
Original post by savageking
Doors?

I do have a lot of scaletrix in my room tho:creep:
The maximum number of doors in your room is 2 if you have an en suite unless you count the door to your wardrobe.
The number of full-sized wheels would most likely be 0 but you might have small wheels from toys or chairs.
Inconclusive unless you attach pictures of your room, or you could count them yourself
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hungrysalamander
The maximum number of doors in your room is 2 if you have an en suite unless you count the door to your wardrobe.
The number of full-sized wheels would most likely be 0 but you might have small wheels from toys or chairs.
Inconclusive unless you attach pictures of your room, or you could count them yourself

I feel like casement windows swing open and closed so they're basically doors, also the door, also a cupboard and drinks cabinet, also a painted shut door in the wall. Also books open and close so they're doors. Glasses are wheels cos u can roll them, same with screws, pens, bottles, and bin
There's the same number of both :tongue:
wheels for sure
300 wheels. You have a toy car collection
Original post by crimecrimecrime
I feel like casement windows swing open and closed so they're basically doors, also the door, also a cupboard and drinks cabinet, also a painted shut door in the wall. Also books open and close so they're doors. Glasses are wheels cos u can roll them, same with screws, pens, bottles, and bin

Let's take a look at definitions of both according to google:
Doors are "a hinged, sliding, or revolving barrier at the entrance to a building, room, or vehicle, or in the framework of a cupboard."
Casement windows do not fall under that definiton. Books are definitely not doors. If the door can't be opened then it shouldn't count as a door as it lost its purpose.
Wheels are "a circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move easily over the ground."
None of the items you mentioned revolve on an axle so none of them count as a wheel.
Let's take a look at definitions of both according to google:
Doors are "a hinged, sliding, or revolving barrier at the entrance to a building, room, or vehicle, or in the framework of a cupboard."
Casement windows do not fall under that definiton. Books are definitely not doors. If the door can't be opened then it shouldn't count as a door as it lost its purpose.
Wheels are "a circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move easily over the ground."
None of the items you mentioned revolve on an axle so none of them count as a wheel.

have a bit of imagination u spoon, you'll never become a memelord at this rate smh
have a bit of imagination u spoon, you'll never become a memelord at this rate smh

Logic > imagination.
I'm guessing that you're still in the 19th century as you still use "spoon" as an insult. How do you know what memes are if the internet wasn't around back then.
4. transferred.
Thesaurus »
a. Anything resembling a door in its motion or use; a lid, valve; an opening, a passage.

1665 R. Hooke Micrographia 46 How those Atoms come to be hindred from running all out, when a dore or passage in their Pores is made.
1712 J. Morton Nat. Hist. Northants. 12 Ash-Timber, for the Doors of Bellows.
1719 G. London & H. Wise J. de la Quintinie's Compl. Gard'ner (ed. 7) 169 A small Padlock fix'd to the Door of the Basket.
1840 W. W. Greener Sci. Gunnery 259 Place on this the cap, shut the door, **** your gun.

OED online^

a door is anything being used like a door. But a wheel is only a wheel. So anything can be a door while only a wheel can be a wheel. Therefore there are many more doors than wheels in the world
(edited 1 year ago)
Logic > imagination.
I'm guessing that you're still in the 19th century as you still use "spoon" as an insult. How do you know what memes are if the internet wasn't around back then.

imagination is just logic applied intelligently plus a little bit of *personal sparkle*
sorry u have no sparkle
4. transferred.
Thesaurus »
a. Anything resembling a door in its motion or use; a lid, valve; an opening, a passage.

1665 R. Hooke Micrographia 46 How those Atoms come to be hindred from running all out, when a dore or passage in their Pores is made.
1712 J. Morton Nat. Hist. Northants. 12 Ash-Timber, for the Doors of Bellows.
1719 G. London & H. Wise J. de la Quintinie's Compl. Gard'ner (ed. 7) 169 A small Padlock fix'd to the Door of the Basket.
1840 W. W. Greener Sci. Gunnery 259 Place on this the cap, shut the door, **** your gun.

OED online^

a door is anything being used like a door. But a wheel is only a wheel. So anything can be a door while only a wheel can be a wheel. Therefore there are many more doors than wheels in the world

I like how you had to go down to the 4th definition to find one that fits your narrative :lol:
https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/56820?redirectedFrom=door#eid

imagination is just logic applied intelligently plus a little bit of *personal sparkle*
sorry u have no sparkle

Imagination can be whatever you like. It has no boundaries, therefore does not require logic. Using principles and reasoning are parts of logical thinking.
That's why imaginative works of literature are mostly fiction.
It's probably wheels, because that seems less likely. If it were doors, why would you even be asking?
I like how you had to go down to the 4th definition to find one that fits your narrative :lol:
https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/56820?redirectedFrom=door#eid

Imagination can be whatever you like. It has no boundaries, therefore does not require logic. Using principles and reasoning are parts of logical thinking.
That's why imaginative works of literature are mostly fiction.

The everyday usage of a word is not the only meaningful one. Sometimes you have to engage your brain a bit and think past the obvious to come up with interesting answers to obviously subjective questions, like the epochal doors vs wheels debate.
Original post by franklyfruity
wheels for sure

u know what I think you're right. Why do u assert more wheels tho?
Original post by Zeke Yeager
this is like the dress debate all over again lmaoo

that's what everyone's saying but I think this one is more conceptually interesting as it demands the interlocutors consider what the nature of a 'wheel' or a 'door' is, and also in what unexpected settings these entities may be found

Quick Reply