The Student Room Group

Open application to Cambridge

I may have messed up a bit because I didn't understand the college system, and I ended up sending an open application to Cambridge. I've received an offer, but I don't know where I'll end up, and I'm scared it'll be one of the distant colleges like Girton.

Do open applicants ever get sent to more central colleges like Corpus Christi etc? Obviously I know that Trinity and the like are oversubscribed so there's no way I'm going to those.
Original post by fatdogmendoza
I may have messed up a bit because I didn't understand the college system, and I ended up sending an open application to Cambridge. I've received an offer, but I don't know where I'll end up, and I'm scared it'll be one of the distant colleges like Girton.

Do open applicants ever get sent to more central colleges like Corpus Christi etc? Obviously I know that Trinity and the like are oversubscribed so there's no way I'm going to those.

If you've received an offer - it should tell you the college that you have been assigned to.
You would've have gotten an email with the offer letter from that college :smile:
Original post by _Mia101
If you've received an offer - it should tell you the college that you have been assigned to.
You would've have gotten an email with the offer letter from that college :smile:

Ah sorry for not clarifying - I applied for a postgrad and did an interview with the course director. They sent me an email a few days after my interview telling me they've decided to recommend me for admission, however they did say that it takes a while for the university admissions people to process my application (bureaucracy etc.) So I'll have to wait a few weeks/up to a month to receive the formal offer. In case you're wondering, the course director said they've never had someone be turned down by the admissions people after having been recommended by the course director.
Original post by fatdogmendoza
Ah sorry for not clarifying - I applied for a postgrad and did an interview with the course director. They sent me an email a few days after my interview telling me they've decided to recommend me for admission, however they did say that it takes a while for the university admissions people to process my application (bureaucracy etc.) So I'll have to wait a few weeks/up to a month to receive the formal offer. In case you're wondering, the course director said they've never had someone be turned down by the admissions people after having been recommended by the course director.

Ah okay, i understand.

Well, there’s no need to worry about it now as there isn’t much that can be done really, just have to wait and see! :smile:

I would say that Girton really isn’t as far out as it seems. Cambridge is a pretty small place and everywhere should be relatively comfortable walking (and certainly biking) distance.

Generally, though I think it really depends on where other people have applied. I do know of people who had their open application sent to St. John’s (albeit undergraduate) since they had less applicants for their course. So you may be allocated a central college.

Hope this helps
Very hard to say where you'll end up. Girton and Homerton are easily within cycling distance even if it's not ideal, and every other college is walkable so I wouldn't be too worried.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending