The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Admission

Hello, I'm currently in year 12 and I take A level Maths, A level Physics and A level Chemistry. I am predicted A*A*A and I wish to apply to Durham university for physics. After some research I have found that many people who want to take physics at university also take A level further maths ( Although my school offers it I was never advised by anyone that I should take it and it is now too late for me to do the course). Is it worth pursuing an AS in Further Maths or should I attempt to find another way to do A level Further Maths such as taking a gap year?
Original post by EKM13
Hello, I'm currently in year 12 and I take A level Maths, A level Physics and A level Chemistry. I am predicted A*A*A and I wish to apply to Durham university for physics. After some research I have found that many people who want to take physics at university also take A level further maths ( Although my school offers it I was never advised by anyone that I should take it and it is now too late for me to do the course). Is it worth pursuing an AS in Further Maths or should I attempt to find another way to do A level Further Maths such as taking a gap year?

Hi. I am year 13. I take maths, physics, chemistry and further maths. I’m predicted A*A*A*A*. I have been fortunate to be offered a place at Durham and Imperial so far. Although further maths is not a specified requirement, I do believe it has helped me to secure the offers. It is very competitive and I have heard of students with good grades being rejected. Having said that, you will still stand a chance without the further maths but I would recommend having a strong personal statement. As you’re not taking further maths, have you done an EPQ? I think the top universities look to see if you are able to cope with the extra workload and independent study. Hope this helps
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I am year 13. I take maths, physics, chemistry and further maths. I’m predicted A*A*A*A*. I have been fortunate to be offered a place at Durham and Imperial so far. Although further maths is not a specified requirement, I do believe it has helped me to secure the offers. It is very competitive and I have heard of students with good grades being rejected. Having said that, you will still stand a chance without the further maths but I would recommend having a strong personal statement. As you’re not taking further maths, have you done an EPQ? I think the top universities look to see if you are able to cope with the extra workload and independent study. Hope this helps

Thank you for the response, I am indeed doing an EPQ relating to my topics. Out of curiosity what would you say makes a strong personal statement?
Original post by EKM13
Thank you for the response, I am indeed doing an EPQ relating to my topics. Out of curiosity what would you say makes a strong personal statement?

I did the Isaac Physics mentoring scheme, a course run by Cambridge university, read physics books and articles. Things like this. Have you come across Isaac Physics?
Reply 4

Hiya, I’m studying Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry as well and am also predicted 4A*s. I’ve also applied for physics at Imperial (theoretical physics with an option for a masters) and I was wondering if you received a rediculously high offer aswell 😂 I was given A*A*A* which is INSANELY high and I was wondering if others got the same? I wasn’t sure if it was down the whole whole admissions test catastrophe :smile: thanks
Original post by JDavid1
Hiya, I’m studying Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry as well and am also predicted 4A*s. I’ve also applied for physics at Imperial (theoretical physics with an option for a masters) and I was wondering if you received a rediculously high offer aswell 😂 I was given A*A*A* which is INSANELY high and I was wondering if others got the same? I wasn’t sure if it was down the whole whole admissions test catastrophe :smile: thanks

Hi. Yes I was given 3A*s too!! On the Imperial thread there have been some that have A*A*A though so I don’t know how Imperial are doing it!! It is insane though. It’s higher than any other university!! Are you going to firm it or not?
Reply 6
Original post by EKM13

Hello, replying on behalf of my son, really. Yes, it is worth you taking a Further Maths AS in Year 13. My son (currently Year 13) did the same as he started with Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology with thoughts of doing Medicine. He loved Physics A level so much in Year 12 that he decided to apply for Physics, so he took Biology AS in Year 12 and then is taking FM AS in Year 13. He has really enjoyed it (as he has a year of maths under his belt) and has now been offered a place at both Imperial and Durham to study Physics. So he feels the FM has made a difference to his application. Good luck!
Original post by AnneGG
Hello, replying on behalf of my son, really. Yes, it is worth you taking a Further Maths AS in Year 13. My son (currently Year 13) did the same as he started with Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology with thoughts of doing Medicine. He loved Physics A level so much in Year 12 that he decided to apply for Physics, so he took Biology AS in Year 12 and then is taking FM AS in Year 13. He has really enjoyed it (as he has a year of maths under his belt) and has now been offered a place at both Imperial and Durham to study Physics. So he feels the FM has made a difference to his application. Good luck!

Can I ask what grades Imperial have asked him for please?
Reply 8
As with the posters above, he’s got to get 3A*s! I think, for him, that is realistic. But I do also think they will be considering some missed grade offers, as the real exams should restore some order. From your post, it sounds as though you are predicted one grade down from this, but if you write a strong Personal Statement and do extra reading / Isaac Physics, as the posters above have suggested, you certainly should be carefully considered. They know which schools typically put many candidates forward and which do not, and that will be in your favour if it is rare for your school to submit applications. If you can enter the Physics Olympiad, he also felt that made a difference.
Reply 9
Hi. Yes I was given 3A*s too!! On the Imperial thread there have been some that have A*A*A though so I don’t know how Imperial are doing it!! It is insane though. It’s higher than any other university!! Are you going to firm it or not?

Hi again, good to know we’re in the same boat, although it’s a shame that boat has such a high entry grade 😂. I don’t think I can even put Imperial down as my insurance let alone as my firm. Since the grades Imperial want is higher than from what Cambridge want from me (AAAA) (I was completely torn between Imperial and Cambridge as to what to firm) so I may have to put UCL as my insurance (A*AA) or kings (AAA). What about you? Are you planning to firm it and what are your backups if you do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending