The Student Room Group

Lidocaine vs Lidocaine Hydrochloride

I'm doing a medicines management module as part of my degree and I need to do a presentation about a drug. I've chosen Lidocaine Hydrochloride using the BNF but I'm getting really confused by literature that seems to use lidocaine and lidocaine hydrochloride interchangeably.
The BNF doesn't have a page for just Lidocaine so I assume that they're the same?

Are Lidocaine and Lidocaine Hydrochloride the exact same? Or are they different? And if they're different please could somebody explain. Thanks so much!
Good morning Miss Nightingale [! :colondollar:] - we might need you cos of immense suffering of human beings in the world r n - your grandmother helped out during the "war"!]

Let me explain, hopefully in simple terms:-

Almost all drugs used in medicine are either weak acids or weak alkalis. This is not a format that you would use as such in the formulation of the drug e.g. amlodipine [a calcium channel blocker of the dihydropyridine class] is formulated as amlodipine besilate i.e. a salt of amlodipine, When we prescribe this drug to a patient with e.g. essential hypertension, we do so by stating the generic name of the drug i.e. amlodipine NOT the full chemical name amlodipine besilate. Equally, in a ward round in hospital, a medical student or house officer, when presenting a patient with myasthenia gravis [sorry not the best example: v rare disease] to his/her consultant, will suggest initial treatment with pyridostigmine NOT with pyridostigmine bromide [pyridostigmine per se is chemically unstable, but the word "bromide" is omitted in written or verbal discussion].Sorry to encroach on your territory !

So, coming to your example, you can use lignocaine or lignocaine hydrochloride interchangeably, yes; however, by convention, you would omit the "hydrochloride", since it is understood that the actual therapeutic agent, lignocaine is formulated as its salt, lignocaine hydrochloride [my knowledge, which might be outdated, tells me that lidocaine is an American term [I presume you are in UK??]].

Finally, may I ask what degree you are doing? Biology, pharmacology???

Be safe!
M.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest