Bristol or exeter

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi everyone,

So I applied for criminology at both University of Exeter and University of Bristol, they’ve both now given me offers which are very low (Bristol ABB and Exeter BBB). Im so lost on which to use as a firm (my insurance is University of York BBC).

Could you please list some advantages or University of Bristol and Exeter and disadvantages of both Bristol and Exeter, I’d like to use this information to help me decide!

I like the fact that exeter is a campus uni and i definitely do not want to go to a city uni, however bristol is closer to family whilst at the same time i like exeters distance
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay foreigner
when did they say that?
tw559
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
hi everyone,

So I applied for criminology at both University of Exeter and University of Bristol, they’ve both now given me offers which are very low (Bristol ABB and Exeter BBB). Im so lost on which to use as a firm (my insurance is University of York BBC).

Could you please list some advantages or University of Bristol and Exeter and disadvantages of both Bristol and Exeter, I’d like to use this information to help me decide!

I like the fact that exeter is a campus uni and i definitely do not want to go to a city uni, however bristol is closer to family whilst at the same time i like exeters distance
Ignoring the messages above, I grew up and went to school in Bristol before going to Exeter Uni, so I have opinions on both, though only the University of Exeter.
Bristol is a lot larger of a city, which can be a pro or a con, depending on what you want out of uni. Bristol has a lot larger of a nightlife, as well as more places to go out and eat, as well as shop. It is, however, more difficult to navigate, since it's really hilly, so getting around can be a bit of a nightmare unless you really enjoy walking. That's not to say that Exeter doesn't have a nightlife, it's just much smaller. As is the city; you can walk to and from town from campus very easily, and while there are some hills, it's manageable (though that may just be me comparing it to Bristol).
As you mentioned, Exeter is also campus based. I think Criminology is based at Streatham campus, which is the main campus (and a botanical garden), and if really do want to go to a campus based uni, then Exeter is a good choice. It's also only 1-1.5 hours away from Bristol on train, so you won't be too far away from family, but you still get the distance.
Hope this helps!
Last edited by tw559; 3 months ago
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
Lmfao I didn't even say anything ok bro.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 months ago
hi everyone,

Bristol is the better university overall. I'd take that one especially if you're studying something like criminology where your more likely to be pursuing generalist graduate jobs.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by tw559)
ignoring the messages above, i grew up and went to school in bristol before going to exeter uni, so i have opinions on both, though only the university of exeter.
Bristol is a lot larger of a city, which can be a pro or a con, depending on what you want out of uni. Bristol has a lot larger of a nightlife, as well as more places to go out and eat, as well as shop. It is, however, more difficult to navigate, since it's really hilly, so getting around can be a bit of a nightmare unless you really enjoy walking. That's not to say that exeter doesn't have a nightlife, it's just much smaller. As is the city; you can walk to and from town from campus very easily, and while there are some hills, it's manageable (though that may just be me comparing it to bristol).
As you mentioned, exeter is also campus based. I think criminology is based at streatham campus, which is the main campus (and a botanical garden), and if really do want to go to a campus based uni, then exeter is a good choice. It's also only 1-1.5 hours away from bristol on train, so you won't be too far away from family, but you still get the distance.
Hope this helps!
thank you so much!
Anonymous #5
Report 2 months ago
hi everyone,

How are you getting such low offers? Contextual?
Anonymous #4
Report 2 months ago
It's literally criminology lmao.
Anonymous #5
Report 2 months ago
It's literally criminology lmao.
It's still AAB at both Bristol and Exeter.
Anonymous #4
Report 2 months ago
It's still AAB at both Bristol and Exeter.
Yh that's what they put on their site but for a course like criminology, you know most of those offers are gonna be reduced lol.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Yh that's what they put on their site but for a course like criminology, you know most of those offers are gonna be reduced lol.
What do you mean by 'reduced'?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Exeter regularly makes offers well below their "published" criteria and are also usually very "flexible" on results day for those who miss their offer by even 2 or 3 grades. Their "published" criteria are so high to create the perception of all around academic strength, whereas in reality they have a few very strong departments and a lot of more average ones. It's basically a marketing gimmick.

No idea if it's the same case at Bristol or not.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Exeter regularly makes offers well below their "published" criteria and are also usually very "flexible" on results day for those who miss their offer by even 2 or 3 grades. Their "published" criteria are so high to create the perception of all around academic strength, whereas in reality they have a few very strong departments and a lot of more average ones. It's basically a marketing gimmick.

No idea if it's the same case at Bristol or not.
As above - Exeter likes to pretend they are a top Uni and want high grades - but in reality they will take anyone with a pulse.

Bristol is far more competitive, and doesnt need to vary published standard or contextual offers to get the students they want.
Social Sciences are big at Bristol and its a far more interesting city to live in than Exeter - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
username5637224
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)
As above - Exeter likes to pretend they are a top Uni and want high grades - but in reality they will take anyone with a pulse.

Bristol is far more competitive, and doesnt need to vary published standard or contextual offers to get the students they want.
Social Sciences are big at Bristol and its a far more interesting city to live in than Exeter - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
PRSOM
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
bristol
username5637224
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Bristol
ExeterStudentRep
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
hi everyone,

Hi there,

I’m Coral a student ambassador for the university of Exeter. Firstly, huge congratulations on your offer to study at both universities- it is great to have the choice between two great universities. The University of Exeter is as you’ve noted Campus based. The campus itself if very green and decorated with beautiful gardens, so although you are in a city there is plenty of green open space to relax and enjoy spending time in! The university first year hall accommodation is split between on campus (located within the university grounds) and city based (some of the halls are located in the city centre or just off campus site). Exeter is easily accessible by train, bus and car so it would be very possible to travel home should you wish to! Many people find that once they are at university and fully immersed in their programme and social activities that the semesters fly by before you’ve even had the chance to think about returning home for the weekend! Exeter has over 300 sports clubs and societies so there really is something for everyone. If for whatever reason there isn’t a sports club or student guild society that takes your fancy then you can always gather some like minded individuals and propose a new society to the guild which they can then assist you in setting up. Exeter is the perfect combination of country, city (Exeter is a relatively small city but has everything you could ever really need or want from a city) and seaside life, with close links to Dartmoor (1hr away), beaches (30mins on the train). Another big factor for me was that as far as cities go Exeter is considered a relatively safe city where most students travel around on foot or by bicycle. The academic reputation of the university is fantastic so you can start university with the confidence that you will leave with a top quality academic qualification. The welfare support at exeter is incredible, I have leaned on their support services throughout university. They work in a totally non judgemental, positive outcome orientated fashion, going above and beyond to ensure you get the best possible student experience at the university of Exeter. The disadvantages are that it is considered a smaller city, so the nightlife is perhaps not as varied or there is not as much choice as other universities. However, I found the nightlife to be perfect for me as you could go out pretty much any day and be sure to bump into other people that you knew from university! Despite being easily accessible Exeter is somewhat more ‘remote’ than Bristol. The same as most universities, you may arrive at university to find that perhaps you don’t get along with your housemates, however, the university accommodation team can work with you to figure out a solution that works for both parties. This may be moving accommodations provided there is space in your preferred accommodation. Again, this was a position I found myself in and the university team was super in helping me get sorted!

I can’t speak on the behalf of Bristol but I hope this has given you a little insight into what studying at Exeter is like!

Coral, Exeter Student Ambassador.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (36)
26.47%
As I expected (45)
33.09%
Harder (48)
35.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.15%

Watched Threads