The Student Room Group

younger sibling is more successful than me

does anyone else deal with their younger sibling being more successful/smarter than them. i know a one year difference doesn’t automatically mean i need to be smarter than my younger brother, but it sure feels that way. even though i’m proud of him, deep down i’m jealous and feel like a disappointment, being the oldest in the family. it doesn’t help that he loves boasting constantly, “i’m a year below you but i’m doing better in my a levels” or “everyone in sixth form is so dumb except me” yes he literally says this, he thinks he’s better and smarter than everyone else (and most of the time he is). not only in school, but he’s always been better than me in everything and i know my parents favour him. anyone else feel like this?
Original post by Anonymous
does anyone else deal with their younger sibling being more successful/smarter than them. i know a one year difference doesn’t automatically mean i need to be smarter than my younger brother, but it sure feels that way. even though i’m proud of him, deep down i’m jealous and feel like a disappointment, being the oldest in the family. it doesn’t help that he loves boasting constantly, “i’m a year below you but i’m doing better in my a levels” or “everyone in sixth form is so dumb except me” yes he literally says this, he thinks he’s better and smarter than everyone else (and most of the time he is). not only in school, but he’s always been better than me in everything and i know my parents favour him. anyone else feel like this?

Its such a coincidence that i even saw this because me brother is one year younger aswell and he is also much more cleverer than me. I mean he doesnt really flaunt it or tell anyone his grades but sometimes everyone else compares me to him though i dont get so bad myself. My other younger brother says alot to me about him being cleverer which is quite annoying because hes not too much of a genius himself. I feel proud of him too because he managed to enter some club that hot him some scholarship ornsomething and he can get into a really high university with it and hes only year 10. My parents dont really favour us, just as long as we try hard enough but i completely understand what you mean
My younger brother has a phd and a great job. Can't say I'm not at least a little jealous. He worked hard for it and I admire what he's accomplished but me with my masters just feels a bit dumb.
My younger sister is 1 year younger than me and so far, she beat my GCSE grades and on track to exceed my A-level grades too (just because she does one more subject than me).
But, I feel like it's also partly down to me being approachable to her. She can literally ask me anything and 90% of the time, I can part wisdom to her.
Being the oldest and the first in my family to go to uni meant that I didn't really have that 24/7 support, and I'm glad that she does
I understand as I felt this myself but everyone has their own path in life and it shouldn’t be a competition, brothers should be there to push the other one along and offer support you know? It’s best focusing on yourself, drawing comparisons isn’t really useful.
how i always thought about comparing myself with others was knowing people peak at diffrent ages and there is only so high you can go. so yeah they might be earning this or have this but so can i, it may just take several years longer.

Quick Reply

Latest