The Student Room Group

Will I need to repeat yr12?

So I am at yr12 doing A levels and I am really scared that I will need to repeat yr12. Below is literally every single assessment that I have done since sep. Want to get ur opinion on whats your opinion on repeating a year I believe that 10% had to repeat the year want ur opinion.

Maths
44%
60%
45%
85%
60%
95%
46%
70%
80%
80%
65%
56%
26%

Economics

66%
89%
55%

Computer Science

96%
65%
27%
38%

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don’t think you can repeat year 12 but you really do need to get your grades up for our sixth form if we do really bad by end of year the College put u on extra support sessions as compulsory lessons but I’m not sure actually since I’m in year 12 n have no experience but wish you good luck
i am actually in yr12 these are my unit test results.just want someone who has some experience to tell me their opinion.
Reply 3
Makes sense, I hope someone with experience does help as I’m not much of a help
Reply 4
What are your teachers predicting you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Skiwi
What are your teachers predicting you?

BBB / BBC based on my gcse but tbh I got 8 in gcse maths and gcse computer science so I do believe that they should be higher. i do a level maths, computer science, economics.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by peteryoungy
BBB / BBC based on my gcse but tbh I got 8 in gcse maths and gcse computer science so I do believe that they should be higher. i do a level maths, computer science, economics.

Do you not have forecast grades based on your results? Like on a end of term report card.
Original post by Skiwi
Do you not have forecast grades based on your results? Like on a end of term report card.

yes for economics and maths i was on target and computer science I was above target.
Reply 8
yes for economics and maths i was on target and computer science I was above target.

If you're on target for BBB then you're definitely not going to have to resit the year, that only happens if you're failing
Go and talk to your Head of 6th or similar - they may be able to put this in perspective for you.
Reply 10
If you are in a state funded school then it is almost impossible to repeat the year on the same subjects as the school won't get funding for you. Your grades are not that bad at all.
Original post by EOData
If you are in a state funded school then it is almost impossible to repeat the year on the same subjects as the school won't get funding for you. Your grades are not that bad at all.

i am in a state funded school and about 10/60 students repeated the yea. r honestly I do need to speak to the sixth form to get more information on whether they changed subjects or had bad grades.
i am in a state funded school and about 10/60 students repeated the yea. r honestly I do need to speak to the sixth form to get more information on whether they changed subjects or had bad grades.

BBB are not bad grades - you won't be allowed to repeat the year. Use your weaker results to target revision - you seem to spend a lot of time on tests!!
especially on maths i have done 15 atm I got the result for 13 of them. I also need to double confirm this as in my report it did say my target grade for maths a level is C when I got an 8 in gcse maths but my teacher said B. BTW these were determined from my gcse results so these aren't really predicted grade I thing. so will BBC / BBB cause them to tell me to repeat yr12.
Reply 14
So I am at yr12 doing A levels and I am really scared that I will need to repeat yr12. Below is literally every single assessment that I have done since sep. Want to get ur opinion on whats your opinion on repeating a year I believe that 10% had to repeat the year want ur opinion.

Maths
44%
60%
45%
85%
60%
95%
46%
70%
80%
80%
65%
56%
26%

Economics

66%
89%
55%

Computer Science

96%
65%
27%
38%

As a student who had to take a gap year.
After my alevel results I had BDD. We didn’t have exams that year due to the pandemic. So my grades were given by my teachers due to assessments. Now i knew i could have done a lot more better (cause i knew i ain’t dumb lol) so i took a gap year to resit. I retook maths in October and got a B, within less then 2 months of intense revision. I’m currently retaking maths again and physics to get a better grade. If you don’t get the grades you want, you’re better off taking a gap year and achieving higher grades. You’d be surprised how many people take a year off to reapply.
So to conclude, if your school does allow you to resit year 12, go ahead. Or you could complete year 13, and spend the extra gap year revising hard to get really good grades. Do this if you want to obtain better grades then your actual.
especially on maths i have done 15 atm I got the result for 13 of them. I also need to double confirm this as in my report it did say my target grade for maths a level is C when I got an 8 in gcse maths but my teacher said B. BTW these were determined from my gcse results so these aren't really predicted grade I thing. so will BBC / BBB cause them to tell me to repeat yr12.

No - those 'targets' ae meaningless as they seem to be based on ALIS which gives minimu targets.

Your school cannot set grade targets on progression to Year 13 as that is illegal.

Maths
44%
60%
45%
85%
60%
95%
46%
70%
80%
80%
65%
56%
26%

Economics

66%
89%
55%

Computer Science

96%
65%
27%
38%

Maths
44%
60%
45%
85%
60%
95%
46%
70%
80%
80%
65%
56%
26%

Economics

66%
89%
55%

Computer Science

96%
65%
27%
38%

I wouldn’t repeat a year, just do your a levels next year and believe in yourself that you can do well.

Maths
44%
60%
45%
85%
60%
95%
46%
70%
80%
80%
65%
56%
26%

Economics

66%
89%
55%

Computer Science

96%
65%
27%
38%

Also if you are doing English A levels, your final mark is based on exams not in class tests.
i dont want to be forced into repeating a year due to my grades. that's what I am scared about they can use my results that I need to repeat the year.

Quick Reply

Latest