Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i love english literature, basically, and want to study it at university. i would like to go to oxford/cambridge and was wondering what they look for in a prospective english student. what kind of books do i need to be reading and what else should i be doing?

ReputationRep:
    Read as widely as possible and try to develop interests in specific areas of literature. Enthusiasm is the key thing any uni looks for, as well as an ability to develop and discuss your own opinions on a text.

Reading the classics is always a safe option to show you have a good basis. Variety is also important, so a mix of texts of different periods, genres and stature of authors are advisable.

By the way, what are you thinking of doing with an English degree? I was thinking of taking it at uni, but changed my mind as all I could think of for career options was journalism and teaching - neither of which looked particularly appealing to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishman)
    Reading the classics is always a safe option to show you have a good basis. Variety is also important, so a mix of texts of different periods, genres and stature of authors are advisable.

By the way, what are you thinking of doing with an English degree? I was thinking of taking it at uni, but changed my mind as all I could think of for career options was journalism and teaching - neither of which looked particularly appealing to me.
    i want to teach!! am i mad??? it's what i really want to do. what did you change your mind to??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachio)
    i want to teach!! am i mad??? it's what i really want to do. what did you change your mind to??
    Yes you are mad, but I like mad people.

(Original post by rachio)
    I changed my mind to Law! still english-based but with different career options.

(Original post by englishman)
    I changed my mind to Law! still english-based but with different career options.
    if u want to teach, then its a really good degree to do! enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    if u want to teach, then its a really good degree to do! enjoy it
    i'm guessing you did an english degree then, where did you do it??

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.