The Student Room Group

University of Warwick or University of York?

Hey!
So, I know immediately everyone is going to say Warwick is better, but regardless of league tables I want to go where is best for me.
Calling anyone who went/is at Warwick or York, try and convince me! I'm super stuck between the two and I feel that I need something to sway me. Anything of note about either that may help my decision would be much appreciated :smile:

P.s, if anyone is taking either Politics and Sociology (or similar) or Social and Political Sciences at York, it would be amazing to get your advice especially! How many optional modules do you get per year, what is the diversity of choice like with modules and could you tailor the course easily to your interests? I basically want to build my degree around gender and sexuality, so if you know of any modules fitting this description or can recommend whether either course would allow me to sufficiently do this, that would be absolutely perfect. I'm a bit concerned that Warwick is more rigid and offers less course flexibility than York!

Thanks!!! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
The course page will tell you the course structure and modules. I have an offer for English at York and considered applying to Warwick, but heard (on TSR) that Warwick is not really known for English (and York is). I know York's highest-ranking department field is for politics and such subjects (I forget the name for this field, but I mean as opposed to humanities, science, etc. not courses). The best way to find out how you can tailor your degree to your interests is to email the departments; York has been really friendly in my experience, can't speak for Warwick. If the campus factors into your decision, York has a pretty quiet and peaceful campus with lots of green space; the buildings are new but apparently nice inside. (I don't know if Warwick is a campus or city uni - York is campus - but the social lives of campus vs. city are supposed to be a bit different.) Sorry about the information dump. Best of luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by penguingirl18
The course page will tell you the course structure and modules. I have an offer for English at York and considered applying to Warwick, but heard (on TSR) that Warwick is not really known for English (and York is). I know York's highest-ranking department field is for politics and such subjects (I forget the name for this field, but I mean as opposed to humanities, science, etc. not courses). The best way to find out how you can tailor your degree to your interests is to email the departments; York has been really friendly in my experience, can't speak for Warwick. If the campus factors into your decision, York has a pretty quiet and peaceful campus with lots of green space; the buildings are new but apparently nice inside. (I don't know if Warwick is a campus or city uni - York is campus - but the social lives of campus vs. city are supposed to be a bit different.) Sorry about the information dump. Best of luck!

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately the websites only give you a brief example of the most popular modules and is by no means an exhaustive list, plus doesnt tell you how many optional modules you get per year (although i know York's from an open day). I emailed Warwick about the course structure so will await the reply, thank you! Both are campus, although Warwick campus is much more tight-knit and accessible, being more of a circle whereas York is more a longer, thinner stretch of land so takes some time to walk to the opposite ends. I can safely say that i like the Warwick campus more (i have mobility issues so is much more convenient for me) and it feels more like a community. However, I love the collegiate system at York, the social events and the support this gives. Plus, the course is a single honours at York as opposed to a dual honours at Warwick, so is less likely to feel like i'm studying for two degrees at once and the modules will likely be more complementary. Also, York accommodation is better for me in terms of room layout (they have studio rooms) whereas Warwick don't. But then again, Warwick accommodation is a 6 minute walk to lectures and at York it would be more like 25 (or bus, but again, its travel that i'd rather avoid having to do).

Anyway, is York your first choice/have you firmed on UCAS yet? Have you applied for English Lit/Lang/both? What accommodation are you drawn towards at York/have you already applied for it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest