The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull York offer but some doubts

I got an offer from hullyork a week ago and my base uni is hull.
I like the course.
My issue is as a POC i naturally gravitate towards other POCs and from what I can tell, Hull is a very Caucasian university.
And it gets me thinking that I will feel very out of place.
Reply 1
I'd really appreciate some feedback from people who go to hull or have been hull to give me a less generalised pov.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Don't go then
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Don't go then

It's the only offer I have for medicine so far but I'm waiting for another uni as well
It's the only offer I have for medicine so far but I'm waiting for another uni as well

What do you want me to do about that
Reply 5
What do you want me to do about that

Lol nothing dk why you're trying to be rude unnecessarily. Why don't you go unleash your pent up anger on someone else, you toxic piece of trash?
Lol nothing dk why you're trying to be rude unnecessarily. Why don't you go unleash your pent up anger on someone else, you toxic piece of trash?

Because I know you're a troll
Reply 7
Because I know you're a troll

FAM WHAT I am being genuine about my bloody concern.
I COME FROM A VERY Diverse CITY AND I DONT Wanna BE SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE I CANT RELATE TO AT ALL BUT I ALSO Just WANT TO DO MEDICINE
Reply 8
@UniversityofHull how diverse is the medicine course?
Hull is very diverse, there is a huge asian community, afro-carribean community, indian, eastern european you name it! You'l love it
I say go to an open day to see it for yourself
Why did you apply there in the first place then?
I don't understand why everyone is being so mean
I have a friend who goes to hull I could ask her for u if u want
She does med as well
(edited 2 years ago)
I got an offer from hullyork a week ago and my base uni is hull.
I like the course.
My issue is as a POC i naturally gravitate towards other POCs and from what I can tell, Hull is a very Caucasian university.
And it gets me thinking that I will feel very out of place.

Hi Anonymous

Congratulations on the offer!

I am originally from London, and yes Hull as a city isn't as diverse as a lot of other places. I am sure you have already googled it and seen the figures, but there is data from the City Council here: https://data.hull.gov.uk/population/#/view-report/f067fa9f6ad840008507427e844d538f/___iaFirstFeature unfortunately the latest census data has not been added yet.

There is data from the University here, which is a few years out of date: https://www.hull.ac.uk/work-with-us/more/equality-diversity-and-inclusion/docs/student-data-report-2019.pdf which showed a BAME rate of 11.1% as against a national average of 24.6% of British students. We also have around 2,000 international students amongst the 17,000 who currently attend.

As others have said, come and have a look if you can, you may instantly like the feel of the place like I did back in 2017.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
Original post by tecna
I don't understand why everyone is being so mean
I have a friend who goes to hull I could ask her for u if u want
She does med as well

Omds yes pls
I say go to an open day to see it for yourself

So I went to see it and I liked it, I went to see the accoms and the campus and it was cute and I also went to some Kurdish restaurants near the area and I was surprised to see that big of a Turkish Kurdish community. I'm excited now j think it was just the nerves.
So I went to see it and I liked it, I went to see the accoms and the campus and it was cute and I also went to some Kurdish restaurants near the area and I was surprised to see that big of a Turkish Kurdish community. I'm excited now j think it was just the nerves.

Hi Anonymous

That's great that you liked it!

As I said before, when I came to see it, the sun was shining, the campus looked lovely, everybody was really nice, so I decided it was the place for me.

If you have any questions about the uni, campus, area or city, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest