The Student Room Group

How to get over breaking something expensive?

My water bottle & beats headphones were in the same bag and as you can guess my entire 2L bottle emptied out & drenched my beats. Now they won’t work. Spent about 200 on these & I’m way too sad. Don’t know how to get over it, it sounds pathetic but 200 could’ve bought a lot of different things now it’s gone to waste . I could afford a new pair but it’s just annoying you know
Reply 1
igu bro dont they have a warranty or anything similar my wireless bose had a 2 year one im sure water damage would come under accidental damage so u could get a new pair for free
Reply 2
dont worry about it too much though
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by evako7
My water bottle & beats headphones were in the same bag and as you can guess my entire 2L bottle emptied out & drenched my beats. Now they won’t work. Spent about 200 on these & I’m way too sad. Don’t know how to get over it, it sounds pathetic but 200 could’ve bought a lot of different things now it’s gone to waste . I could afford a new pair but it’s just annoying you know

Yeah it’s annoying but there is literally nothing you can do. I bought a £150 pair sunglasses at uni and my friend sat on them in the sunbed and they broke. My mum bought me an expensive anklet and it literally washed away into the sea. I bought a £700 Gucci bag and some of the leather is scuffed.
I bought air pods and I lost the case.

Yeah it’s so frustrating but it’s the price we pay for buying expensive things. You’ve just gotta take more care
Original post by bk41n
igu bro dont they have a warranty or anything similar my wireless bose had a 2 year one im sure water damage would come under accidental damage so u could get a new pair for free

It's a product warranty, not accident insurance, it won't cover you soaking an electrical device unless it's something advertised as 100% waterproof that's failed. (It almost certainly has chemical telltales inside that would quickly tell a repair tech it was soaked)
I know this sounds so sappy but it's just a material item and you should worry about yourself more- by being so anxious over these headphones you might cause yourself harm.
The most important things in life are happiness and health-the other things are just additions! Maybe you could put it on your next Christmas or Birthday wish list I hope it all works out for you! :smile:
Make sure you've removed the battery and tried to dry them out thoroughly (i.e. at least a couple of days somewhere warm and airy) before deciding that they're broken.
Reply 7
You’re right

Original post by coolestbeanz
I know this sounds so sappy but it's just a material item and you should worry about yourself more- by being so anxious over these headphones you might cause yourself harm.
The most important things in life are happiness and health-the other things are just additions! Maybe you could put it on your next Christmas or Birthday wish list I hope it all works out for you! :smile:

You’re right! It’s just a material thing & I should be glad my laptop or phone wasn’t in there!😹 thanks so much I feel better now
Reply 8
Original post by bk41n

Yeah gonna try going to the Apple store and see what they say.. maybe they’ll replace me but if they don’t I’ll just forget about it .
Original post by evako7

Learn from it and move on I guess. If you regularly damage things then consider taking out insurance on it or checking if you/your parent's home insurance policy covers it.
Reply 10
u sure u can't fix them. water isn't the problem here, its the minerals in the water that damage you devices. it's possible to fix it w distilled water, but if u wanna fix it then go to a professional

Quick Reply

Latest