The Student Room Group

Psycholinguistics/Language Sciences: Reading vs York vs Essex

Hi everyone, I'm an international student and as the title says, have received conditional offers to study at the following universities:

1. University of Reading - MSc Language Sciences
2. University of York - MA Psycholinguistics
3. University of Essex - MA Psycholinguistics

Each course has almost all the modules I want to study (even though the Neurolinguistics module page on the University of York website makes it pretty clear that they cannot support Neurolinguistics research due to limited resources), and each course has a plus point:

1. Reading: has a very good placement module.
2. York: has great scholarships, great reputation for research (given that it's a Russell Group uni).
3. Essex: great modules, plus one of the professors there is currently working on/researching the same topics I'm interested in.

Now the thing is, as an international student with severe budget limitations, I must seriously consider the costs as well as the course quality (and uni/department reputation) before I make a decision.

So I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me what it's like to study at any of these unis in terms of:

1. Reputation of the particular department, quality of research and professors
2. Part-time work opportunities
3. Living costs

I have read quite a lot about these things on the websites too, but would really like to hear from someone who has actually studied/knows someone who has studied at these universities so that I can make an informed decision.

Thank you!
Original post by aniru
Hi everyone, I'm an international student and as the title says, have received conditional offers to study at the following universities:

Each course has almost all the modules I want to study (even though the Neurolinguistics module page on the University of York website makes it pretty clear that they cannot support Neurolinguistics research due to limited resources), and each course has a plus point:

2. York: has great scholarships, great reputation for research (given that it's a Russell Group uni).
3. Essex: great modules, plus one of the professors there is currently working on/researching the same topics I'm interested in.

Now the thing is, as an international student with severe budget limitations, I must seriously consider the costs as well as the course quality (and uni/department reputation) before I make a decision.

So I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me what it's like to study at any of these unis in terms of:

3. Living costs

I have read quite a lot about these things on the websites too, but would really like to hear from someone who has actually studied/knows someone who has studied at these universities so that I can make an informed decision.

Thank you!

I haven't studied at any of these universities, but as I'm doing a Linguistics PhD elsewhere, I do hear a lot about the reputation of other universities' linguistics departments. They are all really good departments, and I would presume that York, whilst a city, would be the cheapest of the three options (Reading and Essex are going to have higher living costs due to being closer to London).

Sorry I can't say anything more specific, but friends of mine have enjoyed each of your choices, so you can't go far wrong. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I haven't studied at any of these universities, but as I'm doing a Linguistics PhD elsewhere, I do hear a lot about the reputation of other universities' linguistics departments. They are all really good departments, and I would presume that York, whilst a city, would be the cheapest of the three options (Reading and Essex are going to have higher living costs due to being closer to London).

Sorry I can't say anything more specific, but friends of mine have enjoyed each of your choices, so you can't go far wrong. :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you doing your PhD from and in which area of Linguistics? Where I come from, there's not a lot of people studying it, so I get really excited whenever I get to interact with anyone interested in Linguistics 😃
Original post by aniru
Thank you so much for your reply!

If you don't mind me asking, where are you doing your PhD from and in which area of Linguistics? Where I come from, there's not a lot of people studying it, so I get really excited whenever I get to interact with anyone interested in Linguistics 😃

I'm doing my PhD at Bangor University (in North Wales), and it's in bilingualism.
Original post by aniru

3. Living costs

Thank you!

Hi @aniru,

I'm a student at the University of Essex studying Psychology, I can't say much about our Psycholinguistics course as I don't know anybody who studies it, but I can tell you about working and living here! However I can say that having a lecturer in your field of interest is SO important, it gives you a network into that community and means you can do your research alongside them and they'll likely have a research project running that you'll be interested in, I went to Essex specifically because of one module a lecturer taught that was taught nowhere else.

In regards to part-time work there's plenty of opportunities both on and off campus, we have so many places on campus that you can work such as food outlets, bars, nightclub, food stores at over minimum wage, but also there's a nearby town with multiple buses that go there so there's lots of places to work there too - they're always looking for students to work and can be flexible around your studies.

With living costs, you'd need roughly £25 a week for food (with a tescos a 10 min walk away and an lidl/aldi in town), and our cheapest accommodation is North Towers at £107.52 a week, and South towers (which is more modern) at £110.18 a week, so there's options for when you're on a budget! Within these prices all bills are included so you don't need to worry about water, gas and electricity.

I hope this was helpful and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!

Megan
thank you! Hithank you! Hi

Detected language : English

Quick Reply

Latest