The Student Room Group

Would a Distinction & 1/2, Distinction, C be worth the same as an AAB?

Alright so for my A-level course I'm unable to re-take my first exams. I got low grades because I was struggling with extenuating circumstances. Unless I get a high A and a low A*, which is really quite unlikely, then I'm only going to get a C.

For my B-TEC subjects, I've been given the chance to re-sit my first exams and improve as well as take on additional units for a distinction and a half. If I achieve a Distinction & 1/2, Distinction and a C, would it be worth the same as an AAC + A EPQ? or possibly an AAB?

I've been given an offer from a lower uni that only requires BBB-BBC, but I've been rejected from an AAB.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by doubleup
Alright so for my A-level course I'm unable to re-take my first exams. I got low grades because I was struggling with extenuating circumstances. Unless I get a high A and a low A*, which is really quite unlikely, then I'm only going to get a C.

For my B-TEC subjects, I've been given the chance to re-sit my first exams and improve as well as take on additional units for a distinction and a half. If I achieve a Distinction & 1/2, Distinction and a C, would it be worth the same as an AAC + A EPQ? or possibly an AAB?

I've been given an offer from a lower uni that only requires BBB-BBC, but I've been rejected from an ABB.

What is a distinction and a 1/2. What level BTEC have you sat, Diploma, Extended Diploma etc.
Depends on how each Uni translates BTEC grades to A levels - and if they will accept just BTECs (especially since you are doing single subjects and not a BTEC Extended Diploma). Remember that BTECs are vocational qualifications and dont carry the same academic clout as A levels.

would it be worth the same as an AAC + A EPQ?

EPQs are not comparable with another qualification - you can't just substutute any other qualification and just assume its 'the same' - ie.'Core Maths' is not interchangeable with or 'the same as' an AS in Dance.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
What is a distinction and a 1/2. What level BTEC have y ou sat, Diploma, Extended Diploma etc.

It's a Pearson BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma (FAD)
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Depends on how each Uni translates BTEC grades to A levels - and if they will accept just BTECs (especially since you are doing single subjects and not a BTEC Extended Diploma). Remember that BTECs are vocational qualifications and dont carry the same academic clout as A levels.

EPQs are not comparable with another qualification - you can't just substutute any other qualification and just assume its 'the same' - ie.'Core Maths' is not interchangeable with or 'the same as' an AS in Dance.

That makes sense, I was just looking at some universities' entry requirements and some will say something along the lines of 'AAB or ABB + B EPQ.'
(edited 1 year ago)
It's a Pearson BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma (FAD)

If you have this diploma and 1 A level it doesnt equate to 3 A levels but 2.5 so wouldnt meet the criteria. If there is a further diploma it would. However each university will look at things differently. It might depend on what subject the BTECs are in. Things like Art/ Film BTECs are sometimes not accepted by universities for more academic courses.

You need to ask the university concerned. Only they can answer this..
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
If you have this diploma and 1 A level it doesnt equate to 3 A levels but 2.5 so wouldnt meet the criteria. If there is a further diploma it would. However each university will look at things differently. It might depend on what subject the BTECs are in. Things like Art/ Film BTECs are sometimes not accepted by universities for more academic courses.

You need to ask the university concerned. Only they can answer this..

Yeah, it's this diploma + a BTEC + an A-level, so 3.5.
I've already applied to the universities so it's just a matter of time :tongue:
Yeah, it's this diploma + a BTEC + an A-level, so 3.5.
I've already applied to the universities so it's just a matter of time :tongue:

What subjects are they in and what subject have you applied for.

'AAB or ABB + B EPQ.'

And that is what they mean.
Not 'random BTECs' that are not either A levels or an EPQ.

Quick Reply