The Student Room Group

Ways to get more UCAS points

I left college a couple years ago so I already have my A level grades but I need to get 16 extra UCAS points by July for the course I'm applying to

Does anyone know any ways of getting more UCAS points after you've already left school?
Reply 1
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there

Learning a musical instrument and taking an exam for it can give you extra UCAS points as well as doing EPQ :smile:

Awesome I'll look into it thanks for your help !! :smile:
Reply 2
I think you have to get a fairly high grade in music before they're worth UCAS points - not something you can achieve in 4 months if you are starting from scratch.

EPQ is probably the best option for get the points. a quick google suggests 16 points is an 'E' at A-level, which shouldn't present a humongous challenge. Would the course consider letting you in anyway if you contacted them directly?
Original post by edenfaith
Awesome I'll look into it thanks for your help !! :smile:

Although things like musical grades give ucas points they might prove worthless as universities normally go on the best of 3 A levels. Often universities accept people below their requested grades anyway and this is particularly the case in universities asking for ucas points as they are usually the less competitive universities
I left college a couple years ago so I already have my A level grades but I need to get 16 extra UCAS points by July for the course I'm applying to

Does anyone know any ways of getting more UCAS points after you've already left school?

Have you applied already and they’ve asked you to get 16 more points?

Or are you just guessing that they’ll reject you if you apply without them.
Reply 5
Original post by PAR2MED
I think you have to get a fairly high grade in music before they're worth UCAS points - not something you can achieve in 4 months if you are starting from scratch.

EPQ is probably the best option for get the points. a quick google suggests 16 points is an 'E' at A-level, which shouldn't present a humongous challenge. Would the course consider letting you in anyway if you contacted them directly?

I've contacted admissions and they've put me at the top of the waiting list for Clearing and since it's quite a small uni I don't think it'll be an issue but I'd rather have control over it just in case if that makes sense

I agree an EPQ would be the best option although do you know if it's possible to do after already leaving school?
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Have you applied already and they’ve asked you to get 16 more points?

Or are you just guessing that they’ll reject you if you apply without them.

I applied and UCAS basically automatically rejected my application for not having the minimum entry requirements

I contacted admissions and they said they wouldn't look at the rest of my application until clearing opens, or if I could find a way to get the 16 extra points between now and then
Reply 7
I've contacted admissions and they've put me at the top of the waiting list for Clearing and since it's quite a small uni I don't think it'll be an issue but I'd rather have control over it just in case if that makes sense

I agree an EPQ would be the best option although do you know if it's possible to do after already leaving school?

Interesting situation you're in - normally when you apply for a uni you give them your current qualifications, and anything you're expecting to achieve in the upcoming academic year, and they offer you a place based on that. It's unusual for them to set a requirement to achieve something you're not already enrolled in.

EDIT: I see from the above post now why you're in this situation.

It's slightly more challenging to complete an EPQ in your situation. Perhaps contact a local college directly and see if they can support you? I believe EPQs are teacher graded, rather than being sent off to an exam board.
(edited 2 years ago)
I applied and UCAS basically automatically rejected my application for not having the minimum entry requirements

I contacted admissions and they said they wouldn't look at the rest of my application until clearing opens, or if I could find a way to get the 16 extra points between now and then

Ucas don’t reject applications automatically. Nor do universities.

What course is it you’re applying to? Something relevant to the course will usually be the best option.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Ucas don’t reject applications automatically. Nor do universities.

What course is it you’re applying to? Something relevant to the course will usually be the best option.

Not literally automatically but as in they saw I didn't meet the entry requirements so didn't bother reading my personal statement etc

I'm applying to a filmmaking course which I've had loads of experience with doing YouTube, freelance editing, student films etc but I don't know what I could do relating to it that'd be worth points :/
Not literally automatically but as in they saw I didn't meet the entry requirements so didn't bother reading my personal statement etc

I'm applying to a filmmaking course which I've had loads of experience with doing YouTube, freelance editing, student films etc but I don't know what I could do relating to it that'd be worth points :/

Ask your chosen university if they’ll accept the Gold Arts Award https://www.artsaward.org.uk/site/?id=67

A pass is 16 points but it’s a lot more flexible than EPQ and it includes all art forms.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Ask your chosen university if they’ll accept the Gold Arts Award https://www.artsaward.org.uk/site/?id=67

A pass is 16 points but it’s a lot more flexible than EPQ and it includes all art forms.

Just had a look into it and that looks like a possibility - I think it's still an issue of needing to be connected to a school/centre that runs the course but my old high school does so I'll contact them about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending