The Student Room Group

Gcse options

Hi everyone, I have asked this lots of time but I just need to know if these are definitely good options:
Spanish Business Geography(top 3) and then History,Drama(back ups)
I definitely want to do Spanish as I really enjoy it and I think if I keep working how I am working so far, I will definitely benefit from it. I have done Business in y9 and out of the 2 options I have chosen for y9 in y8, business is definitely my favourite. I feel like I will learn skills which is beneficial for life. I like Geography as I feel like I get to learn about the world from a modern type of perspective and I am quite good at it. I also have good grades in it :smile:). However, I really like History as I get to learn about the past world and it could help with my writing. However, I think the reason why I decided to put it 4th is because I'm not sure that the content is something that I want to learn about in History- I would much rather learn from a different part of history. Also I feel like History is way more writing than Geography. But then I'm not sure which one is more interesting- History or Geography. I like both on different perspective. Finally, Drama. I don't mind if I get Drama but I would much prefer my other options. Here are my grades so far.
History predicted-8 work ethic so far-8
Geography predicted-7. work ethic so far-8.
Business predicted-7. work ethic so far-7.
Drama predicted 7. work ethic so far-6.
Spanish predicted-6. work ethic so far-7.

Please tell me if my choice was the right choice based on the information above.
Original post by anonymouspersonp
Hi everyone, I have asked this lots of time but I just need to know if these are definitely good options:
I definitely want to do Spanish as I really enjoy it and I think if I keep working how I am working so far, I will definitely benefit from it. I have done Business in y9 and out of the 2 options I have chosen for y9 in y8, business is definitely my favourite. I feel like I will learn skills which is beneficial for life. I like Geography as I feel like I get to learn about the world from a modern type of perspective and I am quite good at it. I also have good grades in it :smile:). However, I really like History as I get to learn about the past world and it could help with my writing. However, I think the reason why I decided to put it 4th is because I'm not sure that the content is something that I want to learn about in History- I would much rather learn from a different part of history. Also I feel like History is way more writing than Geography. But then I'm not sure which one is more interesting- History or Geography. I like both on different perspective. Finally, Drama. I don't mind if I get Drama but I would much prefer my other options. Here are my grades so far.

Please tell me if my choice was the right choice based on the information above.

I did both geography and business studies for gcse and loved them both.
Obviously you have done business studies before so you sort of know what its like. But id deffo recommend it for gcse.
I did geography for gcse and found it was very interesting. It was one of my favourite subjects.
I didnt do spanish myself. I did french though, but wish id chosen spanish instead.
Original post by Emma:-)
I did both geography and business studies for gcse and loved them both.
Obviously you have done business studies before so you sort of know what its like. But id deffo recommend it for gcse.
I did geography for gcse and found it was very interesting. It was one of my favourite subjects.
I didnt do spanish myself. I did french though, but wish id chosen spanish instead

Ill tell you the content in geo and business: for geo is physical world, human geography and geographical fieldwork. business has 2 different parts: investigating small businesses and growing a business. is this what you did??
Ill tell you the content in geo and business: for geo is physical world, human geography and geographical fieldwork. business has 2 different parts: investigating small businesses and growing a business. is this what you did??

The business studies looks like it's changed since I did it. But business studies in general is very good.
I'm sure I did very similar stuff in geography. I highly recommend it.

I'd highly recommend history. It might seem like a lot of writing but that's what you'll have to do for English anyways, and having the practice of writing essays comes in really handy.

I know the questions vary by exam boards, but the highest mark question for me was a 16 marker with added 4 for spag, so it really wasn't as bad as you may think. There are also shorter questions and history in general is good because it makes you more knowledgeable about the past which helps you understand the present. Not to mention, that's what your highest grade is in.

Maybe consider what you want to ultimately do in A level.
I took Geography GCSE without really putting much thought in it, and ended up choosing it for one of my a levels.
I would say geography would help you to get a more humanities based job, while history could help in law etc.

Quick Reply

Latest