The Student Room Group

does it matter what order i write my dissertation chapters in ?

okay i feel like im behind from other students and i told myself i will submit two chapters on Monday morning ( latest Monday night ) for my supervisor but ive only got my intro done and my its taking too long finding research for the lit review ... i would rather submit a draft of my intro and quickly write up my methology chapter as its only 1.5k compared to the 3k lit review. and i know i can easily write up a draft of that by monday.

its cause i have a 2.5k essay due on friday and another 2k essay the following friday that i need to focus and i cant if do that im still doing the lit review... does it matter what order i write the chapters up or do i need to the lit review second? like i would rather do intro and methology for monday and then slowly over the two weeks while doing those two essays gain my research for the lit review so i could write it up the after submitting the last essay?

my dissertation is due in a few weeks ( i know i left it late ) so i really want to submit two chapters asap as drafts and i dont have a good relationship with my supervisor so please dont ask me to ask him if its okay.. i just know i want to submit two chapters by monday not just my intro cause i left it so late hes gonna be so pissed at me so it would look better for me to have two chapters submitted lol
Original post by therock1234
okay i feel like im behind from other students and i told myself i will submit two chapters on Monday morning ( latest Monday night ) for my supervisor but ive only got my intro done and my its taking too long finding research for the lit review ... i would rather submit a draft of my intro and quickly write up my methology chapter as its only 1.5k compared to the 3k lit review. and i know i can easily write up a draft of that by monday.

its cause i have a 2.5k essay due on friday and another 2k essay the following friday that i need to focus and i cant if do that im still doing the lit review... does it matter what order i write the chapters up or do i need to the lit review second? like i would rather do intro and methology for monday and then slowly over the two weeks while doing those two essays gain my research for the lit review so i could write it up the after submitting the last essay?

my dissertation is due in a few weeks ( i know i left it late ) so i really want to submit two chapters asap as drafts and i dont have a good relationship with my supervisor so please dont ask me to ask him if its okay.. i just know i want to submit two chapters by monday not just my intro cause i left it so late hes gonna be so pissed at me so it would look better for me to have two chapters submitted lol

Ideally you'd write your lit review first, followed by methods, results, discussion, and then your intro and conclusion last (as these are informed by what you've already written). If you are just submitting drafts, it might not matter too much, but your supervisor might want to see even a brief lit review to understand your methods chapter.
There is an order in which you should be doing your dissertation. The lit review chapter is first - the intro and conclusions are the last chapters to do. The lit review identifies the gap in the literature that your own research will fill. This then informs your choice of research methodology - what is your philosophical stance thus will you pick quantitative or qualitative research? It will be hard to do the methodology chapter if you have not done your lit review since the lit review informs your methodology. In your lit review you may find other researchers have used qualitative methods so this may influence you to also use qualitative methods. I am sure your uni has a guide to doing a dissertation. Here is one from Readng Uni if you are struggling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending