The Student Room Group

Give me 10 reasons each for and against marriage.

Just for fun :smile: or just one reason is enough. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Did someone propose to you or
Why 10? Just ask people for one reason for both and tell them to bounce and move onto the next thread.
Against: you’ll have to smell morning breath
For: free food sometimes
For:
You have someone to keep you company through life

Against:
They may keep you awake by snoring all night

I'm not doing 10
Pro: If you marry the right person they will be such a blessing in your life

Con: Nearly 50% discover they've married the wrong people
Con is the main reason I don’t want to get married, why do you need a piece of paper to say you love someone? It’s also a lot of effort to get divorced if you find it’s not the right person and that seems quite common. People can change for the worst often.
Pro you can have a nice party. And sometimes in emergencies etc where only family is let in you’ll have more rights married than unmarried. Companionship etc I don’t need to marry them for so I don’t see that as a pro - edit to add I'm also not having children though so no issues there.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 3umbrellas
Just for fun :smile:

Against: Incompatibility there will never be someone to match you.

When someone who knows you well from work especially notices you have father like traits and at such a young age like 21 years old it may seem flattering but it really ain’t got told several times by several colleagues 😳

Wanting and raising kids huge and massive responsibility one that I will never do unless it’s twins. Because I will be terrible at.

Can I keep someone happy? 🤔
(edited 1 year ago)
pro: makes a lot of legal stuff easier(inheritance, parental responsibility, assets, etc)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Pro: people seem to like gestures of commitment, makes you feel good, makes kids feel secure, everyone enjoys a wedding, lots of gifts, you can boast and celebrate if it works out ok in the long term
Cons: repressive religious construct, all the pros are blown away if it goes horribly wrong, which is common
Original post by 3umbrellas
Just for fun :smile:

Here goes.

Pro:
1. You marry someone that you love and want to be with.
2. Have children is a stable 2 parent household.
3. There are some tax benefits
4. You combine resources with your spouse and things can be relatively cheaper than being alone
5. Support in difficult times
6. Genuine connection with another person
7. Consistent sexual access
8. Building a legacy
9. Sending your children to private schools
10. Expanding your perspectives

Cons:
1. Divorce
2. If one is a serial cheat, it would be difficult to stick with one guy or girl
3. Your spouse could smell
4. Costs can rack up if you have a large family
5. In extreme cases, paternity fraud.
6. Domestic abuse or violence
7. Your spouse could be a deadbeat dad or mother
8. No independence
9. No sneaky links or party lifestyle
10. Taking on familial pressures esp at difficult times.
Reply 11
Original post by Wired_1800
Here goes.

Pro:
1. You marry someone that you love and want to be with.
2. Have children is a stable 2 parent household.
3. There are some tax benefits
4. You combine resources with your spouse and things can be relatively cheaper than being alone
5. Support in difficult times
6. Genuine connection with another person
7. Consistent sexual access
8. Building a legacy
9. Sending your children to private schools
10. Expanding your perspectives

Cons:
1. Divorce
2. If one is a serial cheat, it would be difficult to stick with one guy or girl
3. Your spouse could smell
4. Costs can rack up if you have a large family
5. In extreme cases, paternity fraud.
6. Domestic abuse or violence
7. Your spouse could be a deadbeat dad or mother
8. No independence
9. No sneaky links or party lifestyle
10. Taking on familial pressures esp at difficult times.

A couple of my friends are living together with children and in stable relationships. The question in my mind is if there are any disadvantages of them not be married. The tax breaks these days are minimal
Original post by Zarek
A couple of my friends are living together with children and in stable relationships. The question in my mind is if there are any disadvantages of them not be married. The tax breaks these days are minimal

If they have been in a long-term(ish) relationship that is similar to a civil partnership, then I would not think there are disadvantages for not being married. I think marriage is a tool used to formalise the creation of offsprings and sharing of resources as a unit.

My point about marriage was due to the recent explosion of the “baby mama”/“baba father” culture that, in some cases, disadvantages the children by raising them in sometimes toxic or unstable households such as endless shuttling between different homes and familial environments.

The tax breaks can include the transfer of income tax benefits. Other benefits can be pensions, life insurance, spousal support (in some employments) etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Pros: You have a best friend for life, never have to go anywhere or do things alone (unless you want to), you get to raise kids and buld a family together, someone to look out for you through everything

Cons: Might not always work out, you might realise you're incompatible down the road, you might get sick of their habits, possibility of infidelity

Quick Reply

Latest