The Student Room Group

are these 2 papers qualitative, quantitative, or mixed?

- Clinical risk factors, emotional reactivity/regulation and suicidal ideation in elementary school-aged children. Sheftall, A.H., Vakil, F., Armstrong, S.E., Rausch, J.R., Feng, X., Kerns, K.A., Brent, D.A., & Bridge, J.A. (2021)

- Risk factors for pre-adolescent onset suicidal behavior in a high-risk sample of youth. Zelazny, Stanley, B., Porta, G., Mann, Jj., Oquendo, M., Birmaher, B., Melhem, N., & Brent, D. A. (2021)

I'm going round in circles and falling so far behind. can anyone help? I assumed qualitative because of the questionnaires...my friend says quantitative because of the statistic. I'm so stuck.
paper 1 methodology:
- standardised clinical assessments (being standardised this means it will be a quant paper, if it was open interview that would be a bit different)
- listing t-test, Bonferroni correction etc. etc. is a massive flag that this is a quant paper and quant only!

paper 2 methodology:
- again uses assessments, which, while not specific in the abstract, means for sure that this is a quant paper. You wouldn't really use a qual method to assess baseline and over time, if you think you did this with a qual method, you wouldn't really gain much!
- again, red flags for quant paper only as they use words like ANOVA, chi square etc.

some points:
- almost always the case that a questionnaire is a quant methodology. A qual method is things like interpreting meaning from an interview or discussion. There is no assessments (be that a questionnaire or measures of memory etc.) so unless they specific otherwise, assume that the paper is quant
- look over what qual methods are, I think you need to revise the difference a bit more :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
:smile:
no problem :smile:
Reply 4
would the CASP tool for Cohort studies be appropriate for their critique?

Nothing was actually 'done' to the participants, they were just kind of observed and compared.

so cohort study or case control...I'm not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending