The Student Room Group

Abortion

In the UK, is not wanting a child reason enough to get an abortion? I read in an abortion clinic's website that they will ask you the reasons for wanting an abortion. If there is nothing wrong with my pregnancy, will they let me have an abortion? Where can I find accurate information about this?
NHS website on abortion

An article from a private healthcare company that goes a bit more in depth

In England, Scotland & Wales you can have an abortion up to 24 weeks for any reason you want, including just because you want to (as far as I am aware). Legally they have to discuss your decision with you but ultimately they have to respect that it's your choice, and I am pretty certain that a doctor who chooses to work in reproductive health will be pro choice and sign it off for you without an argument (Britain doesn't have the same culture surrounding aboriton that you'll find in bible belt USA).

Obviously I tried my best to write this well but double check what I said in case I mucked something up. All the best!
Original post by Anonymous
NHS website on abortion

An article from a private healthcare company that goes a bit more in depth

In England, Scotland & Wales you can have an abortion up to 24 weeks for any reason you want, including just because you want to (as far as I am aware). Legally they have to discuss your decision with you but ultimately they have to respect that it's your choice, and I am pretty certain that a doctor who chooses to work in reproductive health will be pro choice and sign it off for you without an argument (Britain doesn't have the same culture surrounding aboriton that you'll find in bible belt USA).

Obviously I tried my best to write this well but double check what I said in case I mucked something up. All the best!

Thank you so much
Yes, as carrying an unwanted pregancy has a negative impact on the parent's mental health. You might get asked a bit about why you want an abortion, but "I don't want to have a child" is a reason!

As above the NHS website is a great source of info and you can either talk to your GP or get in touch with local sexual health services (https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-sexual-health-clinic/) or a service like BPAS (https://www.bpas.org/). There is lots of support out there, you don't need to do this on your own :smile:

:goodluck:

Quick Reply

Latest