The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

South, John Snow or St Cuthberts?

Hii, I'm ranking my colleges for Durham and I'm stuck between South, John Snow and St Cuthberts. I really want self catered and my own room and prefer an ensuite but I am not too fussed. Out of these 3 (or any other self catered college), which would be best for me and which has a good social life as well?
Hi there! Which course are you going to study?

South is the newest college hence all facilities are brand new plus most rooms are en-suite, so you have a better chance of getting one. I think even John Snow was renovated in 2020 so that isn't very old either. Cuths's self-catered accommodation is in Parsons Field while the other two are hill colleges, so they're closer to the science site. You can check the walking distance from these colleges to where your lectures will be held and choose a closer one.

All colleges have a brilliant social life so you can find similar facilities everywhere- like bars, societies, etc. Note that cuths doesn't have gowned dinners so if you're into that then the other two are a better choice. John Snow and South have a common building (The Hub) and common ground and are literally adjacent so you can go for either!

Hope that helps!

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hiii! I'm going to study Law but am not too fussed about the walk. My main concern is social life and the reputation of the people at the college. I initially really liked St Mary's but I was thrown of by how it was a catered college
Original post by Anonymous
Hiii! I'm going to study Law but am not too fussed about the walk. My main concern is social life and the reputation of the people at the college. I initially really liked St Mary's but I was thrown of by how it was a catered college

Hey

As I said, social life is similar across all colleges- everyone ends up loving their college. All have sports and music clubs along with other clubs which you can find out on the Instagram pages of the specific colleges. But I'm from South and liked it the most so those that as my first choice :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Original post by Anonymous
Hii, I'm ranking my colleges for Durham and I'm stuck between South, John Snow and St Cuthberts. I really want self catered and my own room and prefer an ensuite but I am not too fussed. Out of these 3 (or any other self catered college), which would be best for me and which has a good social life as well?

Hi! Himeka is at South and I'm at John Snow so I thought I'd jump in to let you know a bit more about John Snow. John Snow has a completely new building from 2020 so all the facilities are amazing.

The college is extremely active with a range of societies including music, charity fashion show, book club, baking, theatre company etc.
The college also has a range of sports available like football, netball, rugby, cheer, rowing etc.
The college also encourages a lot of involvement with regular gowned formals, dance shows. music shows, plays and snowcials (John Snow Socials)

Hope this tells you more about John Snow!

-Lamesha (DU Official Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest