The Student Room Group

Are UK uni halls smoke free?

International student here- wondering if all UK uni halls are smoke free?
It is illegal to smoke in enclosed spaces in the UK, so yes, smoking in halls is not permitted. Technically all UK uni halls should be smoke-free.
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that everyone will adhere to these rules - some people will smoke in halls. I had an issue with some people on my hall smoking cannabis last term (the corridor smelt disgusting). However, if anyone in your hall is smoking and it's affecting you, you could ask them to stop and they might listen to you. If they don't stop (and to be honest I don't think many people smoking in halls cares much about how it might affect the people they live with) you should be able to anonymously report it.
Reply 2
Original post by Tammie2345524
It is illegal to smoke in enclosed spaces in the UK, so yes, smoking in halls is not permitted. Technically all UK uni halls should be smoke-free.
Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that everyone will adhere to these rules - some people will smoke in halls. I had an issue with some people on my hall smoking cannabis last term (the corridor smelt disgusting). However, if anyone in your hall is smoking and it's affecting you, you could ask them to stop and they might listen to you. If they don't stop (and to be honest I don't think many people smoking in halls cares much about how it might affect the people they live with) you should be able to anonymously report it.

Thanks very much for your reply. How common is it to have people smoking weed in your hall? Is it a common problem?
Hello how are you today yes halls are smoke free but it’s very common to congregate as a group and have a smoke outside, this is normal in halls and totally fine
can you smoke? no.

do people smoke? yes
Reply 5
They smoke outside or in the rooms of the halls? My concern is people smoking in the halls where people live?
Original post by brubenow
They smoke outside or in the rooms of the halls? My concern is people smoking in the halls where people live?

most of them smoke weed in the halls rooms tbh
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
And how often does this happen that you can smell it in the hallway? Is there anyone in the university hall who will address it?
And how often does this happen that you can smell it in the hallway? Is there anyone in the university hall who will address it?

Depends very much who you live with. Myself and a friend both lived in the same halls of residence, but in different flats; my one I never had this happen in, his one every time I went over it smelled of weed everywhere (much to his annoyance). If it happens in your flat it will probably happen a lot.

Doubt anyone will do anything about it though unless they are dealing drugs out of the flat or something...
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends very much who you live with. Myself and a friend both lived in the same halls of residence, but in different flats; my one I never had this happen in, his one every time I went over it smelled of weed everywhere (much to his annoyance). If it happens in your flat it will probably happen a lot.

Doubt anyone will do anything about it though unless they are dealing drugs out of the flat or something...

But why doesn’t anyone do
Anything? If it’s not allowed. If they want to smoke then why don’t they go outside or get an apartment to themselves where they aren’t a
Problem for others?
Anything? If it’s not allowed. If they want to smoke then why don’t they go outside or get an apartment to themselves where they aren’t a
Problem for others?

Probably because the owners of the halls decided it wasn't worth the effort/cost of enforcing it further unless there is illegal activity. And most students are rather conflict averse so...things just happen.

This is specifically for smoking weed (which they probably don't want to smoke outside and risk getting "caught" although in most cities I doubt the police have the funding to care about such a petty charge; certainly in Cambridge they didn't when I was working in the city there). I don't think people normally smoke tobacco cigarettes in their halls of residence.
(edited 2 years ago)
Problem for others?

To an extent what someone wants to do in their own rented room is their own business, rules or no rules, and if landlords went about kicking out everyone over funny weed smells they'd be a shortage of paying tenants. The more this behaviour (or any) spills out affecting other people/rooms/flats then the more chance something will be done about it.

(They don't go outside to smoke because it's cold and not comfortable, and they prob didn't rent a private place for the same reason you didn't)

An ex flatmate of mine in halls did by covering up the smoke alarm in their room, but someone reported them because the smell was stinking out the corridor and they got a hefty fine by the accommodation team - think the fine was over £200. They ended up dropping out in the end
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chronoscope
An ex flatmate of mine in halls did by covering up the smoke alarm in their room, but someone reported them because the smell was stinking out the corridor and they got a hefty fine by the accommodation team - think the fine was over £200. They ended up dropping out in the end

Yeah covering up the smoke detectors tends to get punished more harshly because it's a health and safety issue (like blocking fire exits etc as well)!
Original post by artful_lounger
Yeah covering up the smoke detectors tends to get punished more harshly because it's a health and safety issue (like blocking fire exits etc as well)!

That wasn't the only fine they got either! :no: :eek4:
They ended up getting fined close up to £900 in the end cos they were so reckless (climbing on roofs and stuff)
Original post by Chronoscope
That wasn't the only fine they got either! :no: :eek4:
They ended up getting fined close up to £900 in the end cos they were so reckless (climbing on roofs and stuff)

:facepalm:
Reply 16
It’s their own business until the smoke affects the people around them.
Reply 17
Good to know you can report them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending