The Student Room Group

Friend is 26 years old and want to do a Psychology UG in London, can they?

26 years old
Did Alevels in Chemistry, History and something else back when they were 18. Got BBC (idk what grade they got in each subject, but they did get BBC)
They want to do psychology and ideally become a clinical psychologist (their dream is to make their own practice)
Based in London and wants to start on this dream, so ofc uni is the first step. What are her options?

I was thinking do a foundation year and get onto a psychology degree? Ive done some research and see QM is probably the best one. UCL have a BBB offer based on context, would they let us through?

Would love to hear from any mature students who studied Psychology at a London Uni?

Also will student finance pay for degree? Will they be able to get some grant Money/maintenance loan?
Original post by question_time
26 years old
Did Alevels in Chemistry, History and something else back when they were 18. Got BBC (idk what grade they got in each subject, but they did get BBC)
They want to do psychology and ideally become a clinical psychologist (their dream is to make their own practice)
Based in London and wants to start on this dream, so ofc uni is the first step. What are her options?

I was thinking do a foundation year and get onto a psychology degree? Ive done some research and see QM is probably the best one. UCL have a BBB offer based on context, would they let us through?

Would love to hear from any mature students who studied Psychology at a London Uni?

Also will student finance pay for degree? Will they be able to get some grant Money/maintenance loan?

Has your friend enrolled on any higher education programmes prior to this for which they secured a SF loan?

She can also pursue an Access to Higher Education course at her local college, which is designed to prepare mature students for university study and for which she can take out a loan which will be written off should she progress to university (I am not 100% certain about the timeframe for this). I also believe that Access courses are generally cheaper than foundation years in general.

There are plenty of Access to Higher Education courses in psychology and the social sciences more broadly, and not only will she learn more about her chosen subject (psychology), she will also develop her writing, study, critical thinking and presentation skills.

The only caveat is that not all universities will accept an Access qualification as part of their entry requirements, so it's worth querying with the universities for which your friend is seeking admission.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Plaguedbyfoibles
Has your friend enrolled on any higher education programmes prior to this for which they secured a SF loan?

She can also pursue an Access to Higher Education course at her local college, which is designed to prepare mature students for university study and for which she can take out a loan which will be written off should she progress to university (I am not 100% certain about the timeframe for this). I also believe that Access courses are generally cheaper than foundation years in general.

There are plenty of Access to Higher Education courses in psychology and the social sciences more broadly, and not only will she learn more about her chosen subject (psychology), she will also develop her writing, study, critical thinking and presentation skills.

The only caveat is that not all universities will accept an Access qualification as part of their entry requirements, so it's worth querying with the universities for which your friend is seeking admission.

Would that be mandatory? I would prefer for them not to do the Access to Higher Education course as they've done A-Levels and given the many steps you need t accomplish in order to become a clinical psychologist, time is not on our side, so getting the degree asap is very important.
Would that be mandatory? I would prefer for them not to do the Access to Higher Education course as they've done A-Levels and given the many steps you need t accomplish in order to become a clinical psychologist, time is not on our side, so getting the degree asap is very important.

Access courses are recommended for mature students who have been out of full time education for a number of years. They are to be completed in a year, as an Access course is supposed to be an intensive study programme designed to prepare you for the rigour of university study, so it would probably take your friend the same amount of time to complete as a foundation year, plus you get a dedicated tutor.

Otherwise they can pursue the foundation year if you feel that is a better option.
(edited 2 years ago)

An access course will take the same time to complete as a foundation year and also leads to year 1 entry.

If they’ve been out of education for 5+ years then most unis will ask them to take something more recent. The only way to find out for certain is for them to approach some unis with their profile.
Original post by Admit-One
An access course will take the same time to complete as a foundation year and also leads to year 1 entry.

If they’ve been out of education for 5+ years then most unis will ask them to take something more recent. The only way to find out for certain is for them to approach some unis with their profile.

My understanding too with the Access to Higher Education courses is that they tend to incorporate elements from other subjects into their curricula, for instance with an Access to Higher Education: Psychology pathway, you can take modules in not only psychology, but also subjects like human biology and sociology.

So Access courses may be somewhat more interdisciplinary than a standard foundation year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending