The Student Room Group

Bachelor and masters degree

Hey guys I’d like your opinion on this:
How’s the idea of doing law for for bachelor degree and business for a masters degree?
Is it related? Does it sound stupid to do? (I currently study those subjects for my a levels)
Original post by LBFstudent
Hey guys I’d like your opinion on this:
How’s the idea of doing law for for bachelor degree and business for a masters degree?
Is it related? Does it sound stupid to do? (I currently study those subjects for my a levels)

What are your career objectives?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
What are your career objectives?

Honestly, I want to work in the business industry. It’s something I wanted to do for a while but with my current grades in a level business, that dream is crushing. The dilemma is that I’ve always wanted to work in the law industry too, but I understand that only do a law degree if you want to become a lawyer or some sort. From what I’ve heard from people it’s not worth going to uni just for a business degree.
I did law degree after my accounting degree and career in finance. Lots of that law was pretty relevant to me as an accountant (contract, equity, company, revenue, intellectual property). Okay public law and criminal isn’t.

So a law degree then going into accounting (Ie big 4 etc) is one option?
Honestly, I want to work in the business industry. It’s something I wanted to do for a while but with my current grades in a level business, that dream is crushing. The dilemma is that I’ve always wanted to work in the law industry too, but I understand that only do a law degree if you want to become a lawyer or some sort. From what I’ve heard from people it’s not worth going to uni just for a business degree.

There are some universities that do joint degrees- both business and law in one degree.
You could have a look at that :smile:
If you aren't planning to work in the legal sector and don't have a special interest in academic law (which, most don't) there is really no particular benefit to doing a law degree - and given that first rates are relatively low for law courses compared to similar social sciences/humanities subjects, you'd just be making it unduly difficult (and quite possibly, tedious and boring) for yourself.

In fact even if you do want to work in the legal sector, a law degree for your first undergraduate degree is not necessary or even preferable so you could just as well get a degree in anything else (business, accounting, anthropology, theoretical physics, Assyriology) and still become a solicitor (via the SQE, which you would have to do after an LLB anyway) or a barrister (via the GDL, and barrister sets do not prejudice those who do the GDL vs an LLB). Something like 50% of solicitors currently in practice actually initially started with a different degree.

That said if you are particularly interested in the intersection of those subjects academically (and to a point, professionally), there are some joint honours courses that may be of interest, like law and business at Exeter (Cornwall campus), law and accounting and Edinburgh (however this course isn't a qualifying law degree inherently, although that only matters for becoming a barrister and apparently there is a potential route to take the missing QLD required subjects to make it a QLD), or land economy at Cambridge (admittedly very much focused on one niche area both on the legal and business side), for example.

There is no such thing as the business industry. However, if you study a business or related degree you can go on to secure a variety of commercial and administrative jobs in almost any sector. I wouldn't let your current A level grade put you off because you can improve it. There are lots of commercial and administrative jobs and people without specific business qualifications regularly get them.

Quick Reply

Latest