The Student Room Group

Optometry 2022

I have secured my place to study Optometry at Aston starting September 2022. I am looking forward to starting the course and hoping that it will be interesting.

If there are any current optom students who could mention how they feel with the course; difficulty etc? Also if there are any Optometrists who could speak freely about how they feel with their career, job satisfaction etc?

I am not really looking for a job just for money, mainly a stable career with good work-life balance and work that I enjoy ( but a decent salary).

However, I am a little concerned about the optom apprenticeships which I’ve heard people mention recently but I can’t find much about it online so are they really going to come into action? Will this have a negative impact; job saturation and lower salaries?
Original post by Aspigmat
I have secured my place to study Optometry at Aston starting September 2022. I am looking forward to starting the course and hoping that it will be interesting.

If there are any current optom students who could mention how they feel with the course; difficulty etc? Also if there are any Optometrists who could speak freely about how they feel with their career, job satisfaction etc?

I am not really looking for a job just for money, mainly a stable career with good work-life balance and work that I enjoy ( but a decent salary).

However, I am a little concerned about the optom apprenticeships which I’ve heard people mention recently but I can’t find much about it online so are they really going to come into action? Will this have a negative impact; job saturation and lower salaries?

hi when did you have your interview and how long after did you recieve an offer? i had mine for aston optometry in december and still haven't heard anything back from them?
Reply 2
Original post by Tajahm123
hi when did you have your interview and how long after did you recieve an offer? i had mine for aston optometry in december and still haven't heard anything back from them?

Had an interview in December and received the offer about a week later. However, I already had my Alevel grades as I sat them in 2021
Reply 3
Optom is quite an intense course. There's surprisingly quite a bit of anatomy to get through in first year. That doesn't mean you won't have time for socials! All the people in my year have been amazing to get on with - definitely a friendly course to go into- nobody is trying to outcompete anyone. Also it seems to be one of the more in-person/ practical courses during 2021. I go in for practicals quite a bit so I wouldn't worry about 2022.
Original post by Aspigmat
Had an interview in December and received the offer about a week later. However, I already had my Alevel grades as I sat them in 2021

Hey, did u transfer from another degree or did u take gap year? X

Quick Reply

Latest