The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher vs Crash Higher?

I want to study medicine and my school insists we do three advanced highers or two advanced highers and one higher.

I will do Biology and Chemistry Advanced Higher. For my third I am deliberating between Advanced Higher Geography which I did for Higher and National 5 and enjoy; or a crash Higher in Psychology which I think would be more relevant for medicine and I guess I would enjoy too.

My question is which is more likely to take up a lot of study time; an advanced Higher in a subject you already know well or a crash Higher in a subject you've never studied before?
I would first like to inquire if you’ve considered doing AH maths? This is something most of the med applicants in my year group did, along with AH biology and chemistry.

I haven’t done Higher Psychology but I’ll be honest with you, a lot of my friends took it as a skive, it seems to be a relatively easy class. Advanced Higher geography in my opinion would have a LOT more work to do and time required, particularly if you have to do some sort of project, assignment, or folio, which I assume you will.

Obviously it depends which universities you’re looking at… there are varying expectations of subjects they’ll want you to take or grades they’ll expect you to achieve, and for medicine there’s a fair bit of weighting on the UCAT and interviews too. Do you have a careers advisor or anyone studying medicine currently (ex-student perhaps) that you could talk to? They’d probably know a lot more than me heh.
As someone who takes AH geography I would say that it is very different to nat5 and higher as there is very little course work (mostly learning about statistical methods and types of graphs) most of the grade comes from the essay which you can write about any topic you want that is geography related i.e, foreign aid to electric cars and a study on something you choose that is either physical; beach study, river study, biodiversity study. Or a human study: CBD town study, comparison of 2 areas etc. The subject isn't too bad as you work on your folio pieces throughout the year and the exam is only part of your grade which has an OS map question, fieldwork analysis and atlas work. I quite like the freedom but it's all down to preference but there's no content on things like glaciers or rivers in the course.I crashed higher politics and photography as well as taking AH chem and geo and I would say both have lots of pros and cons about their workload so I would choose subjects that 1 you need for uni and 2 would enjoy. Although I believe many Med schools prefer 3 AH's.
Reply 3
Original post by thvndercloud
As someone who takes AH geography I would say that it is very different to nat5 and higher as there is very little course work (mostly learning about statistical methods and types of graphs) most of the grade comes from the essay which you can write about any topic you want that is geography related i.e, foreign aid to electric cars and a study on something you choose that is either physical; beach study, river study, biodiversity study. Or a human study: CBD town study, comparison of 2 areas etc. The subject isn't too bad as you work on your folio pieces throughout the year and the exam is only part of your grade which has an OS map question, fieldwork analysis and atlas work. I quite like the freedom but it's all down to preference but there's no content on things like glaciers or rivers in the course.I crashed higher politics and photography as well as taking AH chem and geo and I would say both have lots of pros and cons about their workload so I would choose subjects that 1 you need for uni and 2 would enjoy. Although I believe many Med schools prefer 3 AH's.

That's really helpful; thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest