The Student Room Group

Uni housemate flushing rice down the toilet!!!!!

Am I right to be mad about this? I've read that when rice is in water it can expand and block the drainage? I'm absolutely baffled why they're doing this (not sure who it is as two people are saying different things) - what the hell is wrong with the bin??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
why are they throwing rice away tho
Reply 2
Egg fried rice
Original post by coffhee
why are they throwing rice away tho

I wish I knew
Original post by SMEGGGY
Egg fried rice

Nah, looks like boiled/white rice
😂 😂
Reply 6
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
Nah, looks like boiled/white rice

Scoop it up, nice with some chilli con carne
Extra flavour.
Cooked rice isn’t going to expand much further when put in water.

I sometimes pop wetter food waste down the toilet, (contents of jars mostly). Dry stuff can go out for the birds but our bin collections are fortnightly so getting rid of the odd bit down the pan stops the bin stinking.
Maybe they should only cook as much as they’re actually going to eat?
Rice can be kept in the fridge after being cooked for up to three days
Am I right to be mad about this? I've read that when rice is in water it can expand and block the drainage? I'm absolutely baffled why they're doing this (not sure who it is as two people are saying different things) - what the hell is wrong with the bin??

How do you know they didn't poop it out? Some have digestion issues, so comes out as it went in.
Original post by Dentaldreams
Maybe they should only cook as much as they’re actually going to eat?
Rice can be kept in the fridge after being cooked for up to three days

I don't like to contradict someone as erudite as you, but I wouldn't recommend that any student attempt to keep leftover rice for any period of time, and certainly not three days. Rice that has not been properly and promptly chilled after cooking and stored correctly can easily grow up some Bacillus cereus, a sporulating bacteria which is a major cause of food poisoning, albeit usually mild. It can be difficult in a student kitchen to adequately chill leftovers in the right timeframe and store them properly at <5°C.

Rice is cheap, plentiful, quick to cook and easy to obtain so it's not worth risking a bout of illness from it. As you say, the person should only cook what they plan to eat during that meal to cut down on food waste - but any leftovers should be thrown away and not stored.
Original post by Reality Check
I don't like to contradict someone as erudite as you, but I wouldn't recommend that any student attempt to keep leftover rice for any period of time, and certainly not three days. Rice that has not been properly and promptly chilled after cooking and stored correctly can easily grow up some Bacillus cereus, a sporulating bacteria which is a major cause of food poisoning, albeit usually mild. It can be difficult in a student kitchen to adequately chill leftovers in the right timeframe and store them properly at <5°C.

Rice is cheap, plentiful, quick to cook and easy to obtain so it's not worth risking a bout of illness from it. As you say, the person should only cook what they plan to eat during that meal to cut down on food waste - but any leftovers should be thrown away and not stored.

Well I’m certainly glad to have learnt something new!
On the rare occasion I do have too much I do put in the fridge for the next day but I’ll be more mindful.
Thank you:smile:
Original post by Dentaldreams
Well I’m certainly glad to have learnt something new!
On the rare occasion I do have too much I do put in the fridge for the next day but I’ll be more mindful.
Thank you:smile:

No problem - as a scientist, I knew you'd find it interesting :smile:

Cooked rice wont expand, and considering what else is flushed down a toilet, it's not an issue in terms of function.
Original post by SMEGGGY
How do you know they didn't poop it out? Some have digestion issues, so comes out as it went in.

Because there was no poop or yellow-coloured water in the toilet - just water and rice
My Asian blood is boiling right now.
Original post by Reality Check
No problem - as a scientist, I knew you'd find it interesting :smile:

Oh I wouldn’t call myself a scientist, I’m barely surviving A-level biology - but interesting indeed:smile:
Original post by hungrysalamander
My Asian blood is boiling right now.

Mine is frying.
@wifd149 you seeing this **** :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest