The Student Room Group

I Dont Know How To Be Gay In School

Can someone halp me out on how to avoid thos horrible, homophobic comments ill probably get
Original post by RAVEN22
Can someone halp me out on how to avoid thos horrible, homophobic comments ill probably get

I don't think there's a proforma or manual on How To Be Gay. Yes, you'll get ignorant, homophobic comments probably which you should report to your tutor or Head of Year so they can be dealt with appropriately. Apart from that, just be who you are - you don't need to wear a big badge with the word GAY on it, or refer to your sexuality every five seconds, so you should be OK.

It's 2022, not 1975 - even though there is obviously still plenty of examples of homophobia and discrimination around, people are generally much more chill about stuff like this now. Your being gay is (and should be) a complete non-story, basically.
Reply 2
(Original post by Reality Check)I don't think there's a proforma or manual on How To Be Gay. Yes, you'll get ignorant, homophobic comments probably which you should report to your tutor or Head of Year so they can be dealt with appropriately. Apart from that, just be who you are - you don't need to wear a big badge with the word GAY on it, or refer to your sexuality every five seconds, so you should be OK.

It's 2022, not 1975 - even though there is obviously still plenty of examples of homophobia and discrimination around, people are generally much more chill about stuff like this now. Your being gay is (and should be) a complete non-story, basically.

ok thanks, that helps a lot - its nicer to hear it from someone else and not just my family. thank you
Original post by RAVEN22
(Original post by Reality Check)I don't think there's a proforma or manual on How To Be Gay. Yes, you'll get ignorant, homophobic comments probably which you should report to your tutor or Head of Year so they can be dealt with appropriately. Apart from that, just be who you are - you don't need to wear a big badge with the word GAY on it, or refer to your sexuality every five seconds, so you should be OK.

ok thanks, that helps a lot - its nicer to hear it from someone else and not just my family. thank you

No problem :smile: Honestly, you should be absolutely fine. Just make sure to speak to someone if you do encounter any sort of homophobia or stuff you're not comfortable with: all schools have robust procedures in place for dealing with this sort of thing, so you must never think you have to put up with hateful comments (that's if you get any) - no-one thinks they're OK, and no-one would dismiss your concerns.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
No problem :smile: Honestly, you should be absolutely fine. Just make sure to speak to someone if you do encounter any sort of homophobia or stuff you're not comfortable with: all schools have robust procedures in place for dealing with this sort of thing, so you must never think you have to put up with hateful comments (that's if you get any) - no-one thinks they're OK, and no-one would dismiss your concerns.

ok thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check

Thanks but i finally came out - and i got what i thought, homophobic/hateful comments. :biggrin:

but theres one downside = i told the school and as usual - they do nothing about it! :mad::frown:😥
You'd get homophobic comments if you were straight. It's school.
Original post by RAVEN22
Thanks but i finally came out - and i got what i thought, homophobic/hateful comments. :biggrin:

but theres one downside = i told the school and as usual - they do nothing about it! :mad::frown:😥

Get your parents involved. Write an angry email together to your safeguarding team or head of year/grade or a deputy headteacher/principal (not sure if you live in the UK or not) detailing the comments you've been receiving and demand action. Also, make a note of each incident if you can. "On Saturday 26 March, (person) said, '(comment),' while I was walking through the corridor." It gets repetitive and annoying, but I do it a lot at my school for racism and it gets somewhere. The more evidence, the less deniable it is. I'm sorry that's happening to you :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending