The Student Room Group

Accounting vs Software Engineer?

If you had to pick one career, what would you pick? It's all subjective in the end but for me personally I have the same level of interest for both, however I also don't know which one will be easier for me to land that first role (this could also rely on apprenticeships vs degrees too...)

I suppose one factor that I really like to have is a good work-life balance, but I'm sure that's achievable in both fields unless anyone tells me otherwise. I also don't care if the job is repetitive or boring because I actually like having to do things that are predictable and more stable.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by beatricehalley
If you had to pick one career, what would you pick? It's all subjective in the end but for me personally I have the same level of interest for both, however I also don't know which one will be easier for me to land that first role (this could also rely on apprenticeships vs degrees too...)

I suppose one factor that I really like to have is a good work-life balance, but I'm sure that's achievable in both fields unless anyone tells me otherwise. I also don't care if the job is repetitive or boring because I actually like having to do things that are predictable and more stable.

With software engineering, you are expected to have specific skills already. Algorithms, data structures, how to code etc. You are tested on this extensively at interview.

With accounting, the interviewer does not expect you to know how to do the job. You are taught all of it on a graduate scheme.

If you want predictability IMO go with accounting. People switch jobs an awful lot more in tech.
Original post by Blue_Cow
With software engineering, you are expected to have specific skills already. Algorithms, data structures, how to code etc. You are tested on this extensively at interview.

With accounting, the interviewer does not expect you to know how to do the job. You are taught all of it on a graduate scheme.

If you want predictability IMO go with accounting. People switch jobs an awful lot more in tech.

Thanks for the insight. Tech seems like a crazy career to be in, I'm not sure if I could keep up with all the coding interviews and latest changes every day. I guess that's why they get great compensation for when they are able to actually do well, which is easier said than done haha
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow

I would just add that in tech people switch jobs a lot because the market is so hot that good engineers get better offers all the time and it pays to change company, but I don't think there is any less job security.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ControlAlt
I would just add that in tech people switch jobs a lot because the market is so hot that good engineers get better offers all the time and it pays to change company, but I don't think there is any less job security.

How long do you think the tech market will stay this hot?
Original post by beatricehalley
How long do you think the tech market will stay this hot?

Tech is here to stay, it will probably always be a good market to be in, but I guess as more and more people try to get into it, it will become more competitive, especially at entry level. Anyway, there are always these cycles, there are plenty of jobs in both of these fields, but you may want to have a look at the locations where you would like to live and work and see how is the market there; perhaps it's easier to be an accountant in a smaller city but software engineering jobs may be more concentrated in tech hubs. I would try to learn a bit more about each topic and see what attracts you more, for example learn a bit of programming and see if you like it. In both fields you'll need to study a lot for your qualifications or skills, and you need to enjoy the subject if you want to do well.
Reply 6
I wouldn't necessarily agree with the need to be tech savvy or the best coder when applying to software engineering graduate roles since a lot of companies nowadays look for open minded people from a variety of degrees and will train them in the role. I study chemical engineering and would say im a beginner to intermediate level at coding (i struggle with coding interviews) and don't have anything tech related on my CV apart from my placement year which I did in technology at a bulge bracket investment bank last year and have secured another technology role at a different BB IB for my grad job. I acc had an offer for a software engineer at a big 4 accounting firm but turned it down in favour for the IB. I wouldn't say my lack of coding skill had a negative impact at all throughout the application processes for each
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by pusha a
I wouldn't necessarily agree with the need to be tech savvy or the best coder when applying to software engineering graduate roles since a lot of companies nowadays look for open minded people from a variety of degrees and will train them in the role. I study chemical engineering and would say im a beginner to intermediate level at coding (i struggle with coding interviews) and don't have anything tech related on my CV apart from my placement year which I did in technology at a bulge bracket investment bank last year and have secured another technology role at a different BB IB for my grad job. I acc had an offer for a software engineer at a big 4 accounting firm but turned it down in favour for the IB. I wouldn't say my lack of coding skill had a negative impact at all throughout the application processes for each

Interesting, so you went into a software engineering from an unrelated degree? Would you say other things apart from the placement year you did in technology helped with your chances?
Also, I assume only stem subjects can get taken in, or am I underestimating how open-minded they are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending