The Student Room Group

What do I do?

I have recently moved up for maths from foundation to higher, which I've been trying since a long time as I want to take the higher paper, but I highly doubt I'll be able to get most of the questions right, as I don't really know much about most of the topics and all. Would they move me down if I get for example a few marks below grade 4 in the mocks, even though it's basically their fault for moving me up at such a late time, like a week before the mocks? Also yes, I could start revising, and I'm actually trying, but the thing is if I do bad in science, they'll move me down back to foundation. Any revision tips ig? Any effective revision methods orr like just ways to improve???
(edited 1 year ago)
Heyy, congrats getting moved up from foundation to higher that’s a big achievement and I’m wishing you the best in your mocks and Exams.
I’m not typically the best in class I work slower than others so I typically teach myself most the content so I can relate to not knowing content .
However, I do have some revision tips in which helped me personally to move from a grade 4 to a solid grade 8/9.

1.) watch gcse Maths tutor on YouTube, he’s great at explaining and can help you with pretty any subject you are struggling with . https://youtu.be/QGJjN3OGL84
1.) for science free science lessons are very helpful also https://youtu.be/vxCyzR6uETs

2.) do questions. There are a lot of useful websites including : examqa, Justmaths, cognitio resources, maths genie and corbett maths.

3.) DO PAST PAPERS a lot of people forget these but they are very important as they not only help you test your progress but also exam technique and to understand difficultly worded questions.
4.) MAKE A RETROSPECTIVE REVISION TIME TABEL : this is probably the true step one but this is a timetable that helps track your progress they are very helpful and I’ll leave a link on how to create one and that also explains it further: https://youtu.be/z88tsBnAsPw

Different revision methods work for different people so it’s best to find what works for you.
Flash cards may also be helpful to learn formulas and information for science.

Remember to try to be patient, these things take time but a build up of revision will help. As you said mocks are close and if you keep trying hard and do a little bit everyday you should get great by the real thing. good luck :smile:
Hmmm I would say do as many practise papers as possible (focus on the first half of the paper because you can get a really good grade by doing well on just the first half and then try as much as you can of the hard qs but don't stress about them at this stage). I'm not sure what revision books etc you use but for me the CGP workbooks got me through my GCSEs (even though they were internal last year but my school basically did them like proper exams) and they have different books for your board and the grade area you are aiming for so they are really helpful imo. Oh yeah and for science just get a blank sheet of paper and write as much as you can about a specific topic and then learn whatever you don't remember. Good luck and remember that you still have time from your mocks to your finals to improve significantly :smile: also feel free to pm if you have any qs, I'll do my best to help
Original post by Justapersonalive
Heyy, congrats getting moved up from foundation to higher that’s a big achievement and I’m wishing you the best in your mocks and Exams.
I’m not typically the best in class I work slower than others so I typically teach myself most the content so I can relate to not knowing content .
However, I do have some revision tips in which helped me personally to move from a grade 4 to a solid grade 8/9.

1.) watch gcse Maths tutor on YouTube, he’s great at explaining and can help you with pretty any subject you are struggling with . https://youtu.be/QGJjN3OGL84
1.) for science free science lessons are very helpful also https://youtu.be/vxCyzR6uETs

2.) do questions. There are a lot of useful websites including : examqa, Justmaths, cognitio resources, maths genie and corbett maths.

3.) DO PAST PAPERS a lot of people forget these but they are very important as they not only help you test your progress but also exam technique and to understand difficultly worded questions.
4.) MAKE A RETROSPECTIVE REVISION TIME TABEL : this is probably the true step one but this is a timetable that helps track your progress they are very helpful and I’ll leave a link on how to create one and that also explains it further: https://youtu.be/z88tsBnAsPw

Different revision methods work for different people so it’s best to find what works for you.
Flash cards may also be helpful to learn formulas and information for science.

Remember to try to be patient, these things take time but a build up of revision will help. As you said mocks are close and if you keep trying hard and do a little bit everyday you should get great by the real thing. good luck :smile:

Thank you so much for the tips and all the links! :h: I'll start revising completely before my mocks start. Also as you moved from a grade 4 to a grade 8/9, do u think though that it would be possible to achieve a minimum of grade 4 for the mocks that will take place on the coming Monday? Or like let's say on the actual GCSEs, do I still have time?
Original post by yellowdrummer123
Hmmm I would say do as many practise papers as possible (focus on the first half of the paper because you can get a really good grade by doing well on just the first half and then try as much as you can of the hard qs but don't stress about them at this stage). I'm not sure what revision books etc you use but for me the CGP workbooks got me through my GCSEs (even though they were internal last year but my school basically did them like proper exams) and they have different books for your board and the grade area you are aiming for so they are really helpful imo. Oh yeah and for science just get a blank sheet of paper and write as much as you can about a specific topic and then learn whatever you don't remember. Good luck and remember that you still have time from your mocks to your finals to improve significantly :smile: also feel free to pm if you have any qs, I'll do my best to help

Thank you so much!:u: I do have cpg books for both maths and science, but the issue is at times it doesn't make much sense, which leads me to leaving it for 'later'. I'll try to go through them again, but ty again!!!
Reply 5
ah a fellow genshin player
It depends on your work ethic but I believe if you work hard it’s possible and if you revise you can 100% get a grade 4 in your mocks especially if you do past papers as mocks are usually based on past papers questions . Another tip would be after you do past papers watch a walkthrough such as Mr Tompkins on YouTube : https://youtu.be/vJAIRSnIngQ he’ll explain all the questions you got wrong and don’t understand.
If you revise a little bit everyday of maths and a lot during the April holidays you can even go up to a 7+ by GCSE. ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO START REVISING, you just have to be patient and resilient which is really hard but I believe from the fact you went out of your way to try find out advice to revise that you are determined to do well and will.
Original post by Xiao's tofu
I have recently moved up for maths from foundation to higher, which I've been trying since a long time as I want to take the higher paper, but I highly doubt I'll be able to get most of the questions right, as I don't really know much about most of the topics and all. Would they move me down if I get for example a few marks below grade 4 in the mocks, even though it's basically their fault for moving me up at such a late time, like a week before the mocks? Also yes, I could start revising, and I'm actually trying, but the thing is if I do bad in science, they'll move me down back to foundation. Any revision tips ig? Any effective revision methods orr like just ways to improve???

Hey! Here’s some info from someone who really loves math:

“Throwing yourself in at the deep end” is usually quite a good strategy but please DON’T just parrot ideas / formulas you don’t understand. How you do it is: pick a grade 7 - 9 level question (preferably one you don’t understand), then look at the mark scheme and how it is done. Here, you must be honest with yourself. If you understand a step, and why it was done, make sure you remember it and move on to the next step. If you do not, research the topic relating to that step. If you find something else you don’t understand, repeat this process. Eventually, you will reach basics that you do understand and you can work back up to the question. By doing this, you will learn methods and how they link together.

Personal example: I am not in sixth form (in secondary) but I tried doing an A2 pure maths paper (about two-thirds of an Year 13 exam) with no practice for the fun of it. I got a grade C (equivalent to a 4). After about two weeks of moderate-light practice using a revision guide (using topics and questions that I find hardest and working backwards), I did another paper and got an A* (equivalent to 8-9). Keep in mind that A-level is wayyyy more content-heavy than GCSE so it’s actually a harder task in of itself, but you might still find it hard because at grade 3-4 you probably lack some core skills that make other math topics easier.

To summarise: work from the top, to the bottom, and then back to the top. Repeat for Qs from different topics.
Math genie. Math genie. Math genie. No better resource, don't waste your time elsewhere.
Original post by bbdiya
ah a fellow genshin player

ehe~
Original post by Justapersonalive
It depends on your work ethic but I believe if you work hard it’s possible and if you revise you can 100% get a grade 4 in your mocks especially if you do past papers as mocks are usually based on past papers questions . Another tip would be after you do past papers watch a walkthrough such as Mr Tompkins on YouTube : https://youtu.be/vJAIRSnIngQ he’ll explain all the questions you got wrong and don’t understand.
If you revise a little bit everyday of maths and a lot during the April holidays you can even go up to a 7+ by GCSE. ITS NEVER TOO LATE TO START REVISING, you just have to be patient and resilient which is really hard but I believe from the fact you went out of your way to try find out advice to revise that you are determined to do well and will.

Thank you so much :u: I feel so motivated! I actually had maths paper 1 mocks, and tried to revise as hard as possible, now ig I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I WILL START REVISING EVEN HARDER IN THE APRIL HALF TERM, AND HOPEFULLY I DO MANAGE TO ACHIEVE A NUMBER SUCH AS A GRADE 7. TY AGAIN!:h:
Original post by 2ms7osnsi
hey! Here’s some info from someone who really loves math:

“throwing yourself in at the deep end” is usually quite a good strategy but please don’t just parrot ideas / formulas you don’t understand. How you do it is: Pick a grade 7 - 9 level question (preferably one you don’t understand), then look at the mark scheme and how it is done. Here, you must be honest with yourself. If you understand a step, and why it was done, make sure you remember it and move on to the next step. If you do not, research the topic relating to that step. If you find something else you don’t understand, repeat this process. Eventually, you will reach basics that you do understand and you can work back up to the question. By doing this, you will learn methods and how they link together.

Personal example: I am not in sixth form (in secondary) but i tried doing an a2 pure maths paper (about two-thirds of an year 13 exam) with no practice for the fun of it. I got a grade c (equivalent to a 4). After about two weeks of moderate-light practice using a revision guide (using topics and questions that i find hardest and working backwards), i did another paper and got an a* (equivalent to 8-9). Keep in mind that a-level is wayyyy more content-heavy than gcse so it’s actually a harder task in of itself, but you might still find it hard because at grade 3-4 you probably lack some core skills that make other math topics easier.

To summarise: Work from the top, to the bottom, and then back to the top. Repeat for qs from different topics.

ty sm for the strategy/tip, i had maths mock for paper 1, and it honestly seems very helpful, i mean i have used a similar method, but yours sounds way better :h ill try the method out and see how well it goes for now, anyways ty!!!
Original post by catinthecorner
math genie. Math genie. Math genie. No better resource, don't waste your time elsewhere.

tysm!! Ill start using that website from today on:h

Quick Reply

Latest