The Student Room Group

Lots of interests - choosing career path

So, conflicted on which degree is best because I'm not 100% sure on what career path i should follow but (currently) considering a career in one of:

1. LAW - solicitor, public law or maybe commercial, current top choice but unsure how much i'd enjoy a law career and if it's a good sector to go into, want to have a meaningful career to help people as much as possible so also considering immigration law or working in the UN or Amnesty

2. DATA ANALYTICS (most recent interest) -i love maths, still researching this sector, looks like there'd be a lot of demand for data analysts, good pay, sounds interesting

3. MARKETING/MARKET RESEARCH - creative aspects appeals to me, seems like there's a easier career progression - eg. marketing manager, high job demand (I think?), not sure about pay tho

4. JOURNALISM - has always been my dream sector but after research, there seems to be so many cons eg. competition, low pay, stress/work life balance, low demand)

If anyone knows a lot about any of the careers mentioned, preferably through personal experience, would appreciate all advice. Or alternativly, what degrees would enable me to be able to get into all the careers mentioned or most. Thanks in advance...
Reply 1
you dont need specific degrees for any of those careers - certain courses may lend themselves more to law than others. Which A levels are you taking and which degree courses do you fancy?
Original post by ajj2000
you dont need specific degrees for any of those careers - certain courses may lend themselves more to law than others. Which A levels are you taking and which degree courses do you fancy?

So A levels i'm doing are maths, economics, history and further maths.
Degrees I'm considering are...Law, Economics, Politics and economics, or maybe even Economics with marketing...

I feel like if I have a law degree, it would make it harder to go into data science or marketing if I decide that's what I want to do...
Reply 3
Original post by Cant.be.asked
Degrees I'm considering are...Law, Economics, Politics and economics, or maybe even Economics with marketing...

I feel like if I have a law degree, it would make it harder to go into data science or marketing if I decide that's what I want to do...

What kind of grades are you targeting? How much do you like maths? Any oxbridge ambitions?
So, conflicted on which degree is best because I'm not 100% sure on what career path i should follow but (currently) considering a career in one of:

1. LAW - solicitor, public law or maybe commercial, current top choice but unsure how much i'd enjoy a law career and if it's a good sector to go into, want to have a meaningful career to help people as much as possible so also considering immigration law or working in the UN or Amnesty

2. DATA ANALYTICS (most recent interest) -i love maths, still researching this sector, looks like there'd be a lot of demand for data analysts, good pay, sounds interesting

3. MARKETING/MARKET RESEARCH - creative aspects appeals to me, seems like there's a easier career progression - eg. marketing manager, high job demand (I think?), not sure about pay tho

4. JOURNALISM - has always been my dream sector but after research, there seems to be so many cons eg. competition, low pay, stress/work life balance, low demand)

If anyone knows a lot about any of the careers mentioned, preferably through personal experience, would appreciate all advice. Or alternativly, what degrees would enable me to be able to get into all the careers mentioned or most. Thanks in advance...

You used the word 'love' for your second listing plus lots of other positive adjectives- perhaps that is where you can start? You should do something that you enjoy!

I'm studying Law and love it- very diverse and incredibly challenging (which makes it interesting).

But whatever you choose- you can always change later in life if you want to! Just go and enjoy it!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Wouldn't be harder to get into data science with a law degree if you keep up by learning DS related skills and tools as a hobby + undertake internships in analytics.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ajj2000
What kind of grades are you targeting? How much do you like maths? Any oxbridge ambitions?

4 A* or 3 A* if i decide to drop f.maths
Maths: Love the subject, love the challenge of working out solutions and getting the correct answer, my best subject atm, enjoyment 10/10
Oxbridge: Might apply to cambridge but aiming for top unis like LSE and UCL too
What advice would you give regarding the career sectors if you kniw any particularly well? :smile:
Original post by Blue_Cow
Wouldn't be harder to get into data science with a law degree if you keep up by learning DS related skills and tools as a hobby + undertake internships in analytics.

Wouldn't a law degree put you to a disadvantage when applying against candidates who would have numerate degrees such as economics or computer science?

Internships in analytics sounds like a good idea tho since I could get a feel for the job and see if I'd enjoy it. Will look into that (if they're available for y12s that is)Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Maths: Love the subject, love the challenge of working out solutions and getting the correct answer, my best subject atm, enjoyment 10/10
What advice would you give regarding the career sectors if you kniw any particularly well? :smile:

That’s really strong. Will respond when I’m back home tomorrow. I get the impression you also like humanities like economics and history?
Reply 9

Well - I think law is a bit of an outlier in your list of possible careers and possible degrees. Perhaps you could read through the law careers forum on this site to get some insight? From what I know the best legal jobs pay a lot and also you can get a great salary young, but its very competitive to get in. High grades are necessary but not sufficient. Takes a lot of CV building. Why not find out more and see if this is a good option for you.

Of the others you've noted:

- Data analytics. Developing very quickly. Loads of change so what is true today probably won't be the case when you have graduated. Plenty of routes to get in - perhaps a degree in maths, or maths + computer science or maths + economics would work the best. Economics at one of the very top, highly quantitative courses would also be strong.

- Journalism - I think you've summarised well. You could get involved in student journalism from any degree, and there are opportunities to produce your own content part time through you tube, blogs etc.

If you are interested in humanities type subjects something like statistics, data science etc might be a great way to work with data you are interested in. Some degree courses people are not always aware of include MORSE (Warwick, Southampton and Lancaster run this course) which could be a good option. Likewise if you wanted something less maths specific the PPE degrees where A level maths would be expected (Oxford, LSE, UCL for example) might work well. I'd also look at UCL courses including History, Politics and Economics BA.
Original post by ajj2000
Well - I think law is a bit of an outlier in your list of possible careers and possible degrees. Perhaps you could read through the law careers forum on this site to get some insight? From what I know the best legal jobs pay a lot and also you can get a great salary young, but its very competitive to get in. High grades are necessary but not sufficient. Takes a lot of CV building. Why not find out more and see if this is a good option for you.

Of the others you've noted:

- Data analytics. Developing very quickly. Loads of change so what is true today probably won't be the case when you have graduated. Plenty of routes to get in - perhaps a degree in maths, or maths + computer science or maths + economics would work the best. Economics at one of the very top, highly quantitative courses would also be strong.

- Journalism - I think you've summarised well. You could get involved in student journalism from any degree, and there are opportunities to produce your own content part time through you tube, blogs etc.

If you are interested in humanities type subjects something like statistics, data science etc might be a great way to work with data you are interested in. Some degree courses people are not always aware of include MORSE (Warwick, Southampton and Lancaster run this course) which could be a good option. Likewise if you wanted something less maths specific the PPE degrees where A level maths would be expected (Oxford, LSE, UCL for example) might work well. I'd also look at UCL courses including History, Politics and Economics BA.

From what I've read about a law career on tsr especially has been overly negative and apparently, there is very little demand for solicitors. Trying to find work exp in a law firm at my age is difficult so I'm really unsure how I could figure out if I'd enjoy this job.

I've looked at a PPE before but too keen on the philosophy part.

If I were to study politics and economics at a uni like LSE, does that give me a good ground to enter data analytics or marketing management? Or is it better if I'd study pure economics, especially since a lot of unis don't have pol/econ as a subject?
From what I've read about a law career on tsr especially has been overly negative and apparently, there is very little demand for solicitors. Trying to find work exp in a law firm at my age is difficult so I'm really unsure how I could figure out if I'd enjoy this job.

If I were to study politics and economics at a uni like LSE, does that give me a good ground to enter data analytics or marketing management? Or is it better if I'd study pure economics, especially since a lot of unis don't have pol/econ as a subject?

"From what I've read about a law career on tsr especially has been overly negative and apparently, there is very little demand for solicitors. Trying to find work exp in a law firm at my age is difficult so I'm really unsure how I could figure out if I'd enjoy this job."

I'm not sure there is a lack of demand. There are a huge number of people meeting and exceeding the demand. This makes it a tough field to get into. Its very difficult to find out what you might enjoy for a long term job. Perhaps see if there are youtube videos where different types of solicitors discuss their working lives?

Perhaps check for a few universities to see how flexible the courses are. I had a quick look at the UCL course and it seems you can focus on economics and politics after the first year. Anyway - you might love philosophy if you try it!

"If I were to study politics and economics at a uni like LSE, does that give me a good ground to enter data analytics or marketing management? Or is it better if I'd study pure economics, especially since a lot of unis don't have pol/econ as a subject?"

Here is where everyone has difficulty knowing what to advise. We don't know what employers would favour in five years time. At present I think the more mathematical courses would win out (I note that LSE Pol and econ would be pretty strong for applied maths knowledge) but this might change. There is a lot of value in social science and humanities skills.
Original post by ajj2000
"From what I've read about a law career on tsr especially has been overly negative and apparently, there is very little demand for solicitors. Trying to find work exp in a law firm at my age is difficult so I'm really unsure how I could figure out if I'd enjoy this job."

I'm not sure there is a lack of demand. There are a huge number of people meeting and exceeding the demand. This makes it a tough field to get into. Its very difficult to find out what you might enjoy for a long term job. Perhaps see if there are youtube videos where different types of solicitors discuss their working lives?

Perhaps check for a few universities to see how flexible the courses are. I had a quick look at the UCL course and it seems you can focus on economics and politics after the first year. Anyway - you might love philosophy if you try it!

"If I were to study politics and economics at a uni like LSE, does that give me a good ground to enter data analytics or marketing management? Or is it better if I'd study pure economics, especially since a lot of unis don't have pol/econ as a subject?"

Here is where everyone has difficulty knowing what to advise. We don't know what employers would favour in five years time. At present I think the more mathematical courses would win out (I note that LSE Pol and econ would be pretty strong for applied maths knowledge) but this might change. There is a lot of value in social science and humanities skills.

I studied a bit of philosophy as part of my GCSEs and I really disliked it so I don't think a PPE course is for me. Pol/Econ however, is something I would probably enjoy a lot but I think a law degree would be more useful. (I'm leaning towards a law career atm and currently looking for work experience through connections). I'm drawn away from pol/econ mostly because the unis I want to apply to don't all offer this and also I think that I might enjoy law because I'm interested in debating, ethics and decision making which I'm aware law incorporates.

What did you study, may I ask, and what are your career aspirations? Thanks for your replies so far!!
I studied a bit of philosophy as part of my GCSEs and I really disliked it so I don't think a PPE course is for me. Pol/Econ however, is something I would probably enjoy a lot but I think a law degree would be more useful. (I'm leaning towards a law career atm and currently looking for work experience through connections). I'm drawn away from pol/econ mostly because the unis I want to apply to don't all offer this and also I think that I might enjoy law because I'm interested in debating, ethics and decision making which I'm aware law incorporates.

What did you study, may I ask, and what are your career aspirations? Thanks for your replies so far!!

Well - I graduated about 30 years ago so things have changed a certain amount since!
You know what, I might look into a PPE course because after reading the course stucture for PPE at LSE, I'm actually kind of interested. And my A Levels subject are all useful for this degree I assume...:smile:
You know what, I might look into a PPE course because after reading the course stucture for PPE at LSE, I'm actually kind of interested. And my A Levels subject are all useful for this degree I assume...:smile:

Pretty ideal! UCLs course looks good also. Oxford?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending