The Student Room Group

I’m doomed

I’m doing olevels, and so first I decided to take physics at the last minute before 4 months of exams and then the teacher I got I didn’t understand anything, but then I took lectures from cognito on yt I understand a few things. However, now I have only two months left for CIES and my grades are not getting better it is downgrading. There are a few topics I understand but I need repetition to remember them and there are some topics I think I don’t understand bc I’m not getting my MCQs right. I dunno how to efficiently work through this. I’m panicking, I’m doing the subject by myself as a private student. Idk if I should keep doing past papers and I’ll understand or take lectures again or do that together or if I’ll improve. Physics seemed so easy I thought I could get an A* but bc of all the mistakes I made in the last months I’m not quite sure anymore. The more I solve the paper the less I think I understand. What should I do at the moment? And I can’t withdraw either
Original post by leenthedoormat
I’m doing olevels, and so first I decided to take physics at the last minute before 4 months of exams and then the teacher I got I didn’t understand anything, but then I took lectures from cognito on yt I understand a few things. However, now I have only two months left for CIES and my grades are not getting better it is downgrading. There are a few topics I understand but I need repetition to remember them and there are some topics I think I don’t understand bc I’m not getting my MCQs right. I dunno how to efficiently work through this. I’m panicking, I’m doing the subject by myself as a private student. Idk if I should keep doing past papers and I’ll understand or take lectures again or do that together or if I’ll improve. Physics seemed so easy I thought I could get an A* but bc of all the mistakes I made in the last months I’m not quite sure anymore. The more I solve the paper the less I think I understand. What should I do at the moment? And I can’t withdraw either

ok, don't panic (easier said than done!) and make a realistic plan and stick to it. Make a timetable from now until the exam (taking into account space needed for other subjects) and plan in revising a topic, doing questions and then revisiting the content based on your answers.

From doing past papers, you need to see what you don't know or why you are losing marks (use the mark scheme). Literally make a list. Then go over those topics again to make sure you understand them. Try some more questions on those topics - you should have improved. Repeat as necessary for all topics. Remember to apply the techniques and knowledge that you already have to address any new topics.

Also, if you're given a data/formula sheet in this exam, make sure you're familiar with what is on it. Regardless, make sure you are familiar with the equations you need to know, as if you know the appropriate equation you can usually manipulate it to get to an answer. Pay attention to units, as these can also provide information on what equation might be used (or how to manipulate variables given).

I would also work out how best you revise. Use something like https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/igcse-cie/ which has notes, flashcards and past questions. Recalling your knowledge often will help it stick.

Good luck!
Original post by BlueChicken
ok, don't panic (easier said than done!) and make a realistic plan and stick to it. Make a timetable from now until the exam (taking into account space needed for other subjects) and plan in revising a topic, doing questions and then revisiting the content based on your answers.

From doing past papers, you need to see what you don't know or why you are losing marks (use the mark scheme). Literally make a list. Then go over those topics again to make sure you understand them. Try some more questions on those topics - you should have improved. Repeat as necessary for all topics. Remember to apply the techniques and knowledge that you already have to address any new topics.

Also, if you're given a data/formula sheet in this exam, make sure you're familiar with what is on it. Regardless, make sure you are familiar with the equations you need to know, as if you know the appropriate equation you can usually manipulate it to get to an answer. Pay attention to units, as these can also provide information on what equation might be used (or how to manipulate variables given).

I would also work out how best you revise. Use something like https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/igcse-cie/ which has notes, flashcards and past questions. Recalling your knowledge often will help it stick.

Good luck!

OMG this was so helpful. I guess this makes things easier. I was even afraid to start anything bc I didn’t know what to do. I have a plan in mind now and i will create one right away now eventually and hopefully I’ll improve. Thank you so much! The webpage also looks like it’ll help me remember all the material I go through. 🙏

Quick Reply

Latest