The Student Room Group

Help me decide what uni to go to - Leeds, Liverpool, Bristol

Now I know it’s my choice etc but I just wanted some help from current/past students
Leeds - haven’t visited it (open day is fully booked atm) but I know it’s meant to be really good and it does look good as well, I like the course and the accommodation seems quite affordable (compared to bristol) but the train journey is expensive
Liverpool - visiting it at the start of April, love the look of it and the course, accommodation is good, just not sure if it’s as well-renowned as Leeds, again train is expensive
Bristol - high ranking, good city and nightlife, course looks good, really expensive though but only about 45 mins from home
Subject?
Original post by ughexams123
Now I know it’s my choice etc but I just wanted some help from current/past students
Leeds - haven’t visited it (open day is fully booked atm) but I know it’s meant to be really good and it does look good as well, I like the course and the accommodation seems quite affordable (compared to bristol) but the train journey is expensive
Liverpool - visiting it at the start of April, love the look of it and the course, accommodation is good, just not sure if it’s as well-renowned as Leeds, again train is expensive
Bristol - high ranking, good city and nightlife, course looks good, really expensive though but only about 45 mins from home

Nobody can really help you as it is a personal choice and everyone will think differently. The question of how close or far from home you want to be only you know. Similarly only you know your financial circumstances. What is known is that Bristol is quite an expensive area and has for many years had accommodation issues. The further North you go the cheaper it tends to be. It would probably be worth you visiting Leeds and Liverpool before deciding. Even if there is no official open day you could still walk around the campuses to get a feel. You could write to te department in advance to see if anybody is available to talk to you on that day. You could go to Liverpool one day then get a train across to Leeds for the next.
Use the bus rather than the train if travel costs are a major issue.
Already posted this in another forum but thought I'd post it here too. Deadline is in 6 days and I still haven't chosen a firm because I just can't bring myself to commit to one. I have a few pros and cons of each but I just don't know what to do. I applied for English Lit and History for all.

Cardiff - pros: close ish to home, good course, i feel like it is a safe city cons: awful accommodation (which I would be very late in applying for so probably likely to get the worse ones), not a fan of it being a city uni.

Bristol - pros: close to home, good course again, good reputation cons: really expensive accommodation, don't like it being a city uni, doesn't feel as safe.

Liverpool - pros: love the campus, good course, good accommodation
cons: far away from home, feels more dangerous

I get very paranoid walking around my smaller town and I'm mostly worried about safety issues. For some reason, I feel Cardiff is safer but in terms of strictly the uni etc. I prefer Liverpool, which is making my decision really difficult as I want to pick somewhere I love but don't want to be constantly afraid to walk around.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
My daughter is studying English literature in Liverpool and has just completed her first year.
Absolutely loves it and feels really safe. If she goes into the city centre she’s always with flat mates and friends. Stayed in University halls. So much to see and do. She also had to decide between Cardiff and Liverpool. Ended up firming Liverpool.
(edited 1 year ago)
It sounds like u like Cardiff the most so apply there but Bristol is rlly prestigious and my friends say it's good there. I wouldn't go to Liverpool coz the teachings not that great so...
(edited 1 year ago)
Please don't multi-post - you have already had answers on the other thread.
And no-one can tell you what to do, you do actually have to make up your own mind on this and for your own reasons.
Original post by ughexams123
Already posted this in another forum but thought I'd post it here too. Deadline is in 6 days and I still haven't chosen a firm because I just can't bring myself to commit to one. I have a few pros and cons of each but I just don't know what to do. I applied for English Lit and History for all.

Cardiff - pros: close ish to home, good course, i feel like it is a safe city cons: awful accommodation (which I would be very late in applying for so probably likely to get the worse ones), not a fan of it being a city uni.

Bristol - pros: close to home, good course again, good reputation cons: really expensive accommodation, don't like it being a city uni, doesn't feel as safe.

Liverpool - pros: love the campus, good course, good accommodation
cons: far away from home, feels more dangerous

I get very paranoid walking around my smaller town and I'm mostly worried about safety issues. For some reason, I feel Cardiff is safer but in terms of strictly the uni etc. I prefer Liverpool, which is making my decision really difficult as I want to pick somewhere I love but don't want to be constantly afraid to walk around.

Only you can decide this. The first question is how far from home do you want to be. That will either remove Liverpool from your choices or make going there more likely.

For what it is worth there is a glut of student accommodation in Cardiff. You don not have to live in university halls. There are loads of private halls if you prefer. This is one example

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=3cdada03b535fcab71ae8a2210bcfc7c471cd14ccb926beb26249f5d76159e1fJmltdHM9MTY1NDM0NTg2MyZpZ3VpZD0zMjZjYmUzOC1hNWY2LTRkNzktOTY4ZS04MWYzNWExYTdjYTMmaW5zaWQ9NTE5Ng&ptn=3&fclid=326c22cd-e402-11ec-9206-b4f937907f78&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZnVzaW9uc3R1ZGVudHMuY28udWsvbG9jYXRpb25zL2NhcmRpZmYv&ntb=1

Here is another
https://www..com/cardiff/adam-street-gardens?.

Please be awareBristol has had issues with accommodattion. Last year students ended up in Bath ans previously Newport. There is a sghortage of accommodation in the city compared to Cardiff where the reverse applies.
(edited 1 year ago)
i would recommend bristol.

Quick Reply