The Student Room Group

I have 10 Weeks Until My A Level Exams, Advice?

I have 70 Days until my A-Level exams begin. I want to achieve 3 A's and in my mock exams, I achieved 1 A and 2 B's. Do you have advice on how long I should study every day and how to use my time effectively?
Original post by Anom-007
I have 70 Days until my A-Level exams begin. I want to achieve 3 A's and in my mock exams, I achieved 1 A and 2 B's. Do you have advice on how long I should study every day and how to use my time effectively?

There is no specific amount you would need to study but I would spend around 3-4 hours a week day or 6-8 on a weekend, and you should try studying the best way for you, whether it is the Pomodoro technique or the brute force technique where you just spend the hours and get it done, but it all depends on what works best for you.
PS. past papers are you best friends
Hope this information helps and Good Luck you will do great!
Hi @Anom-007,

It sounds like you are well organised already given the fact you know the number of days (and counting!) until your exams.

Here is some tips that I have on exploring different methods to approach revision :

1) Create a detailed revision timetable - Make a list of all of your exam subjects or topics, and the amount of time you think you need to cover each. Prioritise your revision based on topics and themes you find most complicated and require the greatest attention. Try dividing up your time for each subject based on the units in the revision checklist or syllabus. Once you have planned out what you want to revise try to do a little every day and don’t forget to plan in breaks. Regular breaks are vital for the brain to take in the information you have previously absorbed and to retain in for short and long-term memory.

2) Try different revision methods - Often research shows that exploring a variety of different revision methods will help you to retain more information. Organise your folders and simplify your class notes. Make summary skeleton notes, mind maps, audio notes and diagrams for key facts.

3) Establish a suitable revision space - Try and establish a suitable revision space and mix up the location of where you do revision too. From home, the library to studying in a coffee shop, there are so many settings which make it ideal to study and learn. Make sure you have everything you need for the revision session though.

4) Try and avoid social media and distractions - It’s tempting to distract yourself with social media or talking to friends. Find a well-lit quiet place to study away from any distractions.

5) Past Papers - They can be a very useful resource to identify how questions are structured and to get familiar with the layout of the exam paper. However, avoid approaching them in a way where you know just how to answer the question just for the sake of passing the question. The students who usually thrive actually understand the concept / topic / theme / case study etc.. rather than learning it word for word from a textbook / past papers. The best exam answers explain the the topic using their own words in an authentic way that sounds natural and not the exact words recited from a past paper or textbook.

6) Put your revision to good use - Don’t put your revision to waste by panicking when you get into the exam. You’ve got this! Just think positively and make sure you read the instructions on the paper carefully first. Once you’ve got an exam out of the way don’t dwell on it even if you’re not sure about some of your answers there’s nothing that can be done afterwards so let it go and focus on the next one!

I hope this helps and best of luck with your revision! If need any further advice or support, please reach out on The Student Room again and someone will only be too happy to help.

All the best,

Ross
Original post by Anom-007

Heya! I know it is a stressful period right now but do not panic, there is still time and I am sure you will achieve the marks you want!
What I would recommend is making sure that you manage you time correctly. You can do that by making yourself a small dairy and scheduling each day for specific subjects e.g. on Monday you do subject y by making notes and doing past papers.

I would also recommend giving yourself a 'mock' assessment, by that I mean do a past paper while timing yourself and not looking at the answers if you are unsure of the question. Afterwards you can mark yourself and see how well you did, and if you got something wrong go back to your notes/books/teachers and see where you went wrong. Then you can write it down in your notebook for the future when you encounter a similar question.

Do you know what type of learner are you? Personally I am practical and social learner so I learn by getting my hands on to solve something or by teaching my friends the concept as when I go over it, I listen to myself and see if I am struggling with any concept! Here you can learn more about some types: https://www.inspireeducation.net.au/blog/the-seven-learning-styles/ . My friends were more of visual learners so they liked having coloured notes all over their rooms as it helped them remember the concepts better. By knowing what type of learner are you, it'll help you with devising your own unique revision style :smile:

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your exams!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
www.medicmind.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest