The Student Room Group

Current A-level economic students please read 😭

I'm in Year 11 and I want to do Economics as one of my A levels because I've been told that its a strong A level for people who want to go into Business etc. I am currently working at a 6 in Maths (But I am in set 4) and 7 in English and I am worried that I am going to find Economics too hard because I want to get at an A in it. Please can some current A level Economics students tell me whether Economics is a viable option for me or if I should just take Business studies instead.
Original post by an0therstudent
I'm in Year 11 and I want to do Economics as one of my A levels because I've been told that its a strong A level for people who want to go into Business etc. I am currently working at a 6 in Maths (But I am in set 4) and 7 in English and I am worried that I am going to find Economics too hard because I want to get at an A in it. Please can some current A level Economics students tell me whether Economics is a viable option for me or if I should just take Business studies instead.

There is practically no mathematics of note in A level economics: it's more of an essay-based subject at A level. Contrast this to economics at undergrad, which is a highly mathematical subject. Take out: if you think you might want to do economics at university, you need to do at least maths A level, and preferably FM too.

A 6 in maths and a 7 in English is a perfectly adequate basis to do economics A level, ceteris paribus (that phrase comes up a lot in economics).
Original post by Reality Check
There is practically no mathematics of note in A level economics: it's more of an essay-based subject at A level. Contrast this to economics at undergrad, which is a highly mathematical subject. Take out: if you think you might want to do economics at university, you need to do at least maths A level, and preferably FM too.

A 6 in maths and a 7 in English is a perfectly adequate basis to do economics A level, ceteris paribus (that phrase comes up a lot in economics).

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest