Thoughts on these EPQ Ideas?

Watch this thread
noahr24
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've got a couple of potential EPQ ideas but I'm not sure which one to go with? Also, how could I go about developing the questions into something more suitable for EPQ?

Currently, I've got:

1) Why did Brexit happen?
2) To what extent does the state have the right to implement population-planning initiatives?
j.alder
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I would either go with the 1st or rephrase the 2nd. My EPQ supervisor advised us not to have a question starting with 'to what extent' as it encourages you to sit on the fence when concluding.

I think the 2nd may be a more appropriate topic for an EPQ because I imagine there are quite a few academic journals exploring the topic. You may be quite heavily reliant on newspaper articles which is not great for scoring marks as they aren't seen to be very convincing as evidence. However, that being said, I did my EPQ on the STEM-based economy and ended up predominantly using government policy papers which turned out to be absolutely fine.

Both titles are currently very broad and I think you would struggle to do them justice with the word count constraints. I would try to pick a niche within each topic and tailor your title towards that. For example, you could pick one specific contributing factor to Brexit or one particular population-planning initiative. Pick one that likely to be controversial so that you can explore both sides of the argument and still have enough to write about.

Hope that this helps?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Good short online free course about doing an EPQ - including how to choose a topic - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success/19
noahr24
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thanks for the advice!

Leaning more towards the first one so might go along the lines of:

Evaluate the view that the media were the biggest factor leading to Brexit.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by noahr24)
I've got a couple of potential EPQ ideas but I'm not sure which one to go with? Also, how could I go about developing the questions into something more suitable for EPQ?

Currently, I've got:

2) To what extent does the state have the right to implement population-planning initiatives?
HI,
I would definitely pick something that you're passionate about in interested in researching. Somethings to make sure of are whether you have good scope for research whilst still keeping it focused to avoid trying to cover too much within your EPQ. Its also important to look at all sides of an argument, as im sure you could with either of these whilst keeping it clear and specific. Beginning a question with 'to what extent' may be more likely to encourage you to explore both sides of the argument but it is still important to make sure that you come to a clear and well rounded judgement. Remember, you can always change and adapt your question within the first few weeks of your EPQ and include it in your progress report to show that you can adapt and change as necessary.
Hope this helps,
Eleanor,
- Student Ambassador
jjxton
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by noahr24)

Currently, I've got:

I got an A* in my EPQ, best advice would be to:

choose the topic about your future studies
choose the topic about something you already understand and have ground in
make sure you will have 'fun' writing it

many peers dropped out last week or didnt do well in the EPQ at all becasue they didnt understand the structure, nor found there project interesting.

the ranges of projects that came out just in my school is vast, we had people make a EPQ on: feminism in post war iraq, sustainability of concrete, mineral extraction in Afghanistan, the roman army, social media vs the police

i chose to do mine on how the failures of OPSEC lead to the convictions of online criminals and the prevention methods that could have been utilized
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (35)
33.65%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (48)
46.15%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (20)
19.23%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.96%

Watched Threads